Where is better to setup Forums ?

HMatthew

If you locate at site.com and Forums is your default app, then they're located at site.com. (Although I think site.com/forums would still load.) If you have another app as your default, then your Forums app will be located at site.com/forums.

If you locate your site at site.com/forums and Forums is your default app, then your site will be located at site.com/forums. The problem with this approach is that other apps would be located at site.com/forums/gallery, site.com/forums/blogs etc.

I think it's smarter to locate at site.com unless you're absolutely sure that you won't be using any other apps.

Edit: The answer's the same for forums.site.com too. If you have that as your base, your other apps would be located at forums.site.com/gallery etc, so it's still not an ideal name.

My home page is at [domainname].com which is a Wordpress based homepage and now i want to add IPB Forums .Either at forum.[domainname].com or [domainname].com/forum. So IPB wont be the main homepage as i have wordpress on it.

Also I will be mostly using the IPB Forums for only forums and maybe commerce for donations. I really do not like the wordpress forums but i do like overall visual thats why i will have wordpress as homepage and IPB as forum only

1 minute ago, opentype said:

In a technical sense – regarding the installation and running the website – it makes no difference whatsoever. 

If on technical sense there is no difference.Than what would you recommend on organizational sense for future reference when i make hyperlinks etc. 

root (domain.com) is recommended, or if you have word press in the root, then I would select a sub domain (sub.domain.com). Putting our software in a sub folder (domain.com/foldername) creates longer/ugly urls imo. There is no rule on this, it's what suits you best though.

Archived