Tapatalk broken on 4.3?

Is anyone else having problems with Tapatalk / BYO on 4.3? We've disabled it and notified Tapatalk support, but that was a while ago now.

Just wondering if others are having issues with users not being able to log in on the app - The basics were working but nothing which requires auth.

I don't believe Tapatalk officially support 4.3, but then I don't know how much the API has (or hasn't) changed so the issue may lie elsewhere.

54 minutes ago, NorfolkBroadsNetwork said:

Is anyone else having problems with Tapatalk ...? We've disabled it

That's probably the best thing you could have said here.

45 minutes ago, ChurchOfPop said:

Tapatalk already knows this and they are hoping to release an updated version of their application later this week.

Don't hold your breath, their code is absolutely terrible to look at and held together with proverbial spit and glue.

14 hours ago, Aiwa said:

Don't hold your breath, their code is absolutely terrible to look at and held together with proverbial spit and glue.

Yeah, and their support is worse.

The trouble is that for a forum like ours, there aren't a lot of options for getting a branded mobile app out there and Tapatalk does (on the whole) do the job.

Yeah, but in our experience, users don't like the mobile view and find it difficult to use - That's been the problem really.

We had the same issue with the iOS app. No response to support tickets and eventually it turned up.

The real problem is that user behaviour is changing and people are much more likely to engage with an 'app' than a 'forum' even if it's the same thing in a different skin. The marketing potential for the app is much greater, too.

Yeah it seems likely - It's so easy to create a Facebook group that people generally don't think of forums as a solution unless they're looking to establish something at least semi-commercial and are bothered about owning the data and want the benefit of SEO, adverts etc.

Tapatalk seem to be looking to set up their own platform, so I think are less bothered about supporting forum plugins. Trouble is with their reputation and support, no-one in their right mind is going to want to set up a community on their platform.

Does anyone know of any alternatives though?

Like others have said, whilst its not ideal based on their service, they offer what most users these days is what people want because of behavior - An App. It did the job and now i'll lose engagement from many users if this can't be resolved ASAP.

I wish it was simple as the mobile site just being the alternative. I have literally gone blue in the face to get to the point where some users are that lazy these days, they need an app as its one less click and it gives the option of notifications.

This really shouldn't be a service that we have to pay monthly for.

I Converted from a 14 year old non-mobile capable Board to IPS three years ago. I haven't had a single complaint from the Membership about using the native IPS mobile functions. Likely because they never were able to use Tapatalk before so dont know what they are missing...although many Members belonged to other Boards where they used Tapalak for mobile. Members or people in general don't like change, its human nature. They will get use to the native IPS mobile if they have to. IMO.

2 hours ago, Steve Bullman said:

thats the problem these days though isn't it...they don't have to.  They just disappear off into facebook land instead and are never heard of again

That certainly is a problem that I've lamented about many times on other Topics on this Community Forum.... But I don't think it's necessarily the IPS mobile version that makes them disappear. On a good note I see an uptick in participation from Members who haven't been around my Board, but have Facebook fatigue...and are discouraged by recent FB privacy issues.

Archived