Error when installing fresh 4.2.8 using older database

There is already an Invision Community installation in that database. Choose a different database or use a table prefix.

I'm getting this error when trying to install a fresh 4.2.8 on my server using the database from my older 3.4.5 ?

Do I need up upgrade the database first?  If so, how do I do that?

Is there a work around to what I'm doing? Should I install to a new database then import my older one? Is that even possible?

Thanks in advance.

ok... so how do I upgrade my database?

Let me start from scratch....

I ran IPS 3.4.5.  My server was infected with malware and was completely wiped clean.  I installed IPS 4.2.8 and it was giving me this error when selecting the database: There is already an Invision Community installation in that database. Choose a different database or use a table prefix. Therefore I just created a new database.  Now I have a clean version of IPS installed.  How can I get my my forums to have all my content from 3.4.5?

Do I have to delete everything again, install 3.4.5 using the 3.4.5 database then upgrade that to 4.2.8 ?  Or can I just use my 3.4.5 database into 4.2.8?

7 minutes ago, Kemble said:

ok... so how do I upgrade my database?

Let me start from scratch....

I ran IPS 3.4.5.  My server was infected with malware and was completely wiped clean.  I installed IPS 4.2.8 and it was giving me this error when selecting the database: There is already an Invision Community installation in that database. Choose a different database or use a table prefix. Therefore I just created a new database.  Now I have a clean version of IPS installed.  How can I get my my forums to have all my content from 3.4.5?

Do I have to delete everything again, install 3.4.5 using the 3.4.5 database then upgrade that to 4.2.8 ?  Or can I just use my 3.4.5 database into 4.2.8?

You can upgrade your 3.4.5 database to 4.2.8 by applying the files and configuring your conf_global.php file (you may be able to recover this from a backup of your site).

After you've done that, go to yoururl.com/admin/upgrade and follow the onscreen instructions. Additionally, our support team can perform the upgrade for you from 3.4 to 4.2 if you're having issues.

(If you log out and then log back in, you should be updated to Client status and have more access to peer-to-peer forums).

ya, i have no idea how to upgrade the database by applying files.  I'll fill out a support ticket and attach the database.  ty for your help.  Assuming all I need to do to the conf_globa.php file is just change the name of the database ?

Your conf_global.php should have something like this in it...

<?php

$INFO = array (
  'sql_host' => 'localhost',
  'sql_database' => 'databasename',
  'sql_user' => 'sqlusername',
  'sql_pass' => 'sqlpassword',
  'sql_port' => 3306,
  'sql_socket' => '',
  'sql_tbl_prefix' => '',
  'installed' => true,
  'base_url' => 'http://yourboardinstall.com/',
  'guest_group' => 2,
  'member_group' => 3,
  'admin_group' => 4,
);

You'll need to fill in your own database and URL details (and depending on your old database, you may need to change the preset group IDs)

Archived