Files And Storage How To Access

JohnnyG

Im so use to a Cpannel, Is there a cpannel to my Cloud, where I can access the files, or upload my own custom files, such as custom landing page ect. other PHP Scripts. I'm lost here, My plan was to have a main landing page that my custom domain pointed to then run links from that to my forum on the cloud. Which brings me to me 2nd question.

What's the best way to use your own Domain? Like Should I have it point to my Forum? I'm wanting to have some content pages, and have links on my pages point to sections or discussions in my forum. So like let's say I have a landing page, with a search bar/box on it that says what are you looking for, whatever they type for in there it will just search the forum for those topics and redirect them to those discussions. What's the best way to do this, How should I set up my domain. I was wanting to do something like

mydomain.com = landing page

mydomain.com/forum/ = my forums url. --< but not sure this good for SEO??

What's the best way to setup landing page and domain to my forum, where all links get indexed to my Domain. If that makes sense. Anotherwards I dont want google listing my forums URL that IPB gave me, I want Google to index my domain forum.mydomain.com or mydomain.com/forum

Thanks in advance for any help I get.

Regards,

Johnny G

Hopefully you guys can make heads or tails out of what I'm asking here.

1 hour ago, JohnnyG said:

Im so use to a Cpannel, Is there a cpannel to my Cloud, where I can access the files, or upload my own custom files, such as custom landing page ect. other PHP Scripts. I'm lost here, My plan was to have a main landing page that my custom domain pointed to then run links from that to my forum on the cloud. Which brings me to me 2nd question.

What's the best way to use your own Domain? Like Should I have it point to my Forum? I'm wanting to have some content pages, and have links on my pages point to sections or discussions in my forum. So like let's say I have a landing page, with a search bar/box on it that says what are you looking for, whatever they type for in there it will just search the forum for those topics and redirect them to those discussions. What's the best way to do this, How should I set up my domain. I was wanting to do something like

mydomain.com = landing page

mydomain.com/forum/ = my forums url. --< but not sure this good for SEO??

What's the best way to setup landing page and domain to my forum, where all links get indexed to my Domain. If that makes sense. Anotherwards I dont want google listing my forums URL that IPB gave me, I want Google to index my domain forum.mydomain.com or mydomain.com/forum

Thanks in advance for any help I get.

Regards,

Johnny G

Hopefully you guys can make heads or tails out of what I'm asking here.

I'll try to answer as best I can.

1. If you're with CiC(Invision's cloud), then no, there is no way to alter or add files. If you want a custom home page, CiC comes with the IPS app "pages". In your admin panel, you can make this the default landing app by selecting the "Make Default Application" button (looks like a star iirc). Pages will allow you to use either the Page Builder or a custom PHP page.

2. If you use pages, this'll put your forums at http://yourdomain.com/forums. For SEO purposes, this should be fine. Make sure you are using the friendly URLs and you should be alright as far as SEO is concerned.

3. Set the landing page in the Pages app, as mentioned above. It'll use the same template and themes from the rest of the site. It'll also have the search bar, main navigation, etc. I recommend page builder if you don't need custom PHP. Some custom PHP can even be run with custom blocks, so that's an option too.

Hope this helps.

You sound like you're on Community in the Cloud.  That means you have access to all of the apps, including IP.Pages where you can construct a custom page that looks and feels integrated with the rest of your community.  Build your homepage using IP.Pages.  

Then read through the rest of the Pages guides.  

You don't need any coding skills to create an amazing WYSIWYG page.  It takes some time to get used to all of the settings and just figuring out where things are located, but once you get the hang of it you can create some truly amazing stuff ... homepages, about pages, informational pages, article or news list, knowledgebase, etc

Archived