Pages/CMS Custom Title

TDBF

Is there any way to directly access a custom field title/label in a record?  I don't want to do this from the View Format.

I have noticed that when you select no formatting, this just returns the value and not the label/title as well (as an array) or a way to access the label.

7 hours ago, opentype said:

Yeah, that’s another one of those problems, why using the field settings for styling is preferred. 

Thanks, I had looked at the cms field code last night and came to the same conclusion.

That's the problem for me, I prefer to keep my code and presentation separate from one another. All my styling takes place in the templates and CSS, and I prefer to keep my variables, array's and objects clean of html and css styling. That way, this give me much more freedom with less coding.

I just wish they had spent less time with what I call 'gimmicks' in CMS and concentrated on functions and methods to do the job. Now it seems that I am going to have to create more code for something which should have been relatively straight forward to do.

The more I use CMS, the more I realise that it needs a lot of work and rewriting to be the finished product.

7 hours ago, TDBF said:

That's the problem for me, I prefer to keep my code and presentation separate from one another. All my styling takes place in the templates and CSS, and I prefer to keep my variables, array's and objects clean of html and css styling. That way, this give me much more freedom with less coding.

I think it can be seen both ways. Attaching the styling to the field itself can also make sense and that’s what I prefer for most of my Pages databases. That way I don’t even have to touch the pages template and I don’t have to build a custom one for each database. I just build some general templates with a “core layout” and then I can use them across several databases and make global changes much more easily. I can even switch out the whole template, but the field styling can remain intact. 

12 hours ago, opentype said:

I think it can be seen both ways. Attaching the styling to the field itself can also make sense and that’s what I prefer for most of my Pages databases. That way I don’t even have to touch the pages template and I don’t have to build a custom one for each database. I just build some general templates with a “core layout” and then I can use them across several databases and make global changes much more easily. I can even switch out the whole template, but the field styling can remain intact. 

Likewise, I have some templated that are specifically created which can just churn out formatted code for most Databases. However, there are many instances that I simply cannot roll out looped formatted code due the complexity of the page itself.

The issue I have is not with these methods (formatted styles), but the fact that when trying to work I want I cannot get the same results due to missing methods and functions. There is no built in method just to show the field title, field options, field links (cross linking) and I am left with just the field value, that is it from what I can tell. Why couldn't the devs created methods for displaying titles, options.

Another reason why I don't like working with formatted values, is having to switch between template and field setting windows in my browser. Like I said, I prefer keeping logic and presentation apart. I find this helps my work flow lol

Archived