waccoe.com

I noticed 4.1.18 update now only allows members permissions upload an avatar or not

Previously we had this configured so users could set an avatar only by URL....to prevent them uploading images to our server.

Now they can't set an avatar at all since the feature was changed, if a user wants to set avatar via URL, a staff member with the correct permissions has to do it manually on their profile!

This is a step back!

Ideally we would like to have 3 options

1. Avatar set via upload and URL
  2. Avatar set via URL only
  3. Avatar set disabled

Is there any chance this could be looked at please?

Thanks.

Wow, really? I thought I had misread the release notes but this is actually the way it works now? You are forced to block uploads altogether if you don't want people to use only the upload method?

For my site I need to go by upload only but now I'm especially doubtful that this will be possible. Either way this is not good.

uploading via url and upload from the pc are pretty much the same thing, it will either upload the image directly from the url provided or it will upload it from selecting the file on the local pc, both store the image locally though. 

Can you clarify? Maybe there was some confusion on how this works? and you thought it was only linking to the url prior? (if so it was actually importing it locally) 

import.jpg

5 minutes ago, Rhett said:

uploading via url and upload from the pc are pretty much the same thing, it will either upload the image directly from the url provided or it will upload it from selecting the file on the local pc, both store the image locally though. 

Can you clarify? Maybe there was some confusion on how this works? and you thought it was only linking to the url prior? (if so it was actually importing it locally) 

import.jpg

So "Upload Photo" and "Import From URL" pretty much do the same thing? Think that's what's confusing me. I thought "Import From URL" was different.

5 minutes ago, Simon Woods said:

The confusion I have -- mostly because I haven't updated yet -- is whether I can remove the option for people to upload from URL. I want the only options to be No Photo or Upload Photo.

What’s the logic/requirement behind that? As Rhett already said: the results will be the same anyway. If you wouldn’t allow me to input an URL as upload source, I would just drag that same image onto my desktop and upload it from there. Same result. So why force me to take that extra step?

9 minutes ago, Simon Woods said:

The confusion I have -- mostly because I haven't updated yet -- is whether I can remove the option for people to upload from URL. I want the only options to be No Photo or Upload Photo.

yes you can

1 minute ago, opentype said:

What’s the logic/requirement behind that? As Rhett already said: the results will be the same anyway. If you wouldn’t allow me to input an URL as upload source, I would just drag that same image onto my desktop and upload it from there. Same result. So why force me to take that extra step?

The concern for some was people using the upload from url to capture the servers location, this option to disable the remote url option was added to address this concern.

34 minutes ago, opentype said:

Could it be a security thing. I remember someone saying a server ip could be gained from url import.

7 hours ago, opentype said:

It's a check against inappropriate use of other people's work. It isn't the only thing we do, nor is it necessarily an especially strong tool against this problem but at the very least we can block the laziest users who do this and make the others take an extra step as a chance to reconsider potential inappropriate use.

Archived