Comment Block on Page?

bradl

Is it possible to add a comment block to a Page?

I have a lot of pages assembled using the page builder that are various combinations of wysiwyg and feed-type blocks. Several of the pages taken as a whole might benefit from being able to collect comments.

• 2 months later...

A way for visitors to comment on a Pages page that is itself made up of feed blocks from elsewhere and wysiwyg blocks placed on the page. Similar to the comments section on a gallery photo or a status or a database entry but somehow standalone so it can be placed as a block on any page.

Probably I'm not describing it very well :( 

Are these separate pages or records in a Pages database?

I'm not sure it can be easily done with a lot of separate pages due to the fact that IPS has the 1 page = 1 database limitation.  This would require you to create a database for each page you want comments on...

But, If you create each of  those "pages" as a record in a single database, the comments could all be stored in the same, single database.  Then, the "Allow Comments" for the record display setting would  add them, and allow you to control them via permissions.

These are separate pages, created *as a page* and made using the "page builder" drag and drop.  I use a LOT of separate databases for a club site (with associated pages and whatnot) but for one major event there is information pulled in from a lot of different places, has frequent updates from various committees etc., countdown widgets, event purchase blocks, etc. A portal page, essentially.  Creating a portal page as a single database entry would I suppose be possible. 

2 hours ago, bradl said:

Creating a portal page as a single database entry would I suppose be possible. 

My portal page is a separate page, with feeds below the "WYSIWYG" editor view, and feeds in the sidebar.  I've created two more "separate" pages where the content is absolutely static -- such as the benefits of buying a "premium subscription" .  All the other content -- and it's already the equivalent of hundreds of pages, is in records in one of two databases.  I use one Pages database for Articles (user-submitted), and the other database for content that I (or another admin) must create and manage. The whole site is set up to allow comments anywhere on any content as long as you are a registered user. 

I had about 1500 pages of content converted from Wordpress by IPS when I converted my "community."  I'm slowly massaging that content, and "publishing" it again by changing permissions on the categories of content.  I've just worked through a Support issue that will soon allow you (v4.1.1.18) to arrange content 3, 4 or perhaps more levels deep in categories and subcategories.  My content is routinely 3 categories deep (sub-subcategories) and in some cases goes an additional level. They found and resolved an issue that was causing IPS to get "confused" when you went past 2 levels deep, and that fix will be incorporated in the next release.

I read this topic before but never responded.  I don't think it's possible, IPS vanilla does not include a "comment" widget that you can plop onto an IP.Pages page.  

As others have pointed out, you might be able to convert those IP.Pages pages into IP.Pages database records and activate comments or reviews in the database setting.  

Another suggestion is to link to a forum topic and maybe use a recent posts feed from that topic.  

• 1 month later...

Archived