Secondary admin do the upgrade?

Kjell Iver Johansen

If he needs to be able to download the package himself from the client area, then that is unfortunately not possible. Having a team of developers work on a community is not really something IPS support (which is beyond me, as many things)

I'm not sure about the delta upgrades. You would have to test it in that case. If you can use the automatic upgrader (so PHP itself can download the files and write them into the folders of your installation), then I'm quite sure he would be able to start it in that case.

On 29.9.2016 at 2:12 AM, TSP said:

I'm not sure about the delta upgrades. You would have to test it in that case. If you can use the automatic upgrader (so PHP itself can download the files and write them into the folders of your installation), then I'm quite sure he would be able to start it in that case.

Thanks. I'm not sure I follow you, because to use the automatic upgrader he would need my email and password to get the upgrade going - or am I wrong?

How do you do the upgrade with the large corporate sites? All admins have access to one client account here?

1 hour ago, Kjell Iver Johansen said:

How do you do the upgrade with the large corporate sites? All admins have access to one client account here?

I'm the only one upgrading. We can't use the delta or automatic upgraders because multiple reasons. 

So we workaround the problem by me being main owner of all licenses and me being the only one really knowing how to upgrade in the first place. Yes, it's impractical. 

On 28 September 2016 at 10:46 AM, Kjell Iver Johansen said:

I'm often hiking up to two weeks without any internet connection. I need my Secondary admin to be able to upgrade my forum in case of critical upgrade. Is that possible without giving him my password to IPS?

@Kjell Iver Johansen Out of interest - what sort of walking/hiking (sorry bit off topic, but far more interesting :thumbsup: )

8 hours ago, Cloud 9 said:

@Kjell Iver Johansen Out of interest - what sort of walking/hiking (sorry bit off topic, but far more interesting :thumbsup: )

I live in Norway and the full length hike of the country is abt 2700 kilometer - mostly in the mountains and along the border to Sweden/Finland. I try to hike 10% each year in a 2 week hike. IMGP4351.JPG

I'm really depending on my admins doing the technical stuff - and too bad there is no system so that I don't have to give away my password here. Strange I am the only ona having that issue.. Start walking! ^_^

• Management

I'm honestly not sure if alternate contacts can authenticate the auto upgrader. I will check and if not, I feel it's worth doing. 

Please be mindful of sharing your account details. We recently (last week) had an incident in which a "co-admin" used the primary accountholder to gain access to a bunch of marketplace resources and they upgraded them to webflake. It's for reasons such as this that sharing access to the client area using the primary account is actually a violation of our terms. 

I'll make a note to check into the auto upgrader. Thanks for bringing it up. ^_^ 

38 minutes ago, Cloud 9 said:

Bear in mind that if your out walking the hills for two weeks, sometimes the auto-upgrader fails (not often granted - but it does occasionally) and you then need to upload all files via ftp and upgrade.

Yes - then the secondary admin also must has access to download the full version.

I really appreciate that Lindy look into this - because for people travelling it is a real issue. Another solution could be that IPS do the upgrade on our behalf - as they did on the 3.4 series.

Archived