Password protect a single post

Square Wheels

Can I password protect a single post?  If not, I can move it to a password protected forum.

If the post is password protected, are the images that are uploaded also password protected?  Can I simply navigate to the image folder and it will still be viewable?

I've had a couple of problems with a particular thread, and it's rather popular so I'd prefer not to delete it.

I got a DMCA request for an image.  I suspect they were using some automated way to find their images that have been posted without permission.  I immediately took the image down.  To prevent this from happening in the future I'd like it if the images were hidden.

43 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Can I simply navigate to the image folder and it will still be viewable?

Yes. If you are asked to take it down, your really need to delete the file. Hiding a topic doesn’t do anything to the image itself or the way it can be accessed with a direct call. 

1 minute ago, opentype said:

Yes. If you are asked to take it down, your really need to delete the file. Hiding a topic doesn’t do anything to the image itself or the way it can be accessed with a direct call. 

The site has been live for 3 years, there are thousands of images.  How many of them are copyright protected?  I don't know how I can tell.

I have one post that gets a lot of traffic and suspect several of the images are copyright protected.  That is the thread I wanted to hide.

I have received a total of two requests to remove the images and have done so, without question, immediately.

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Can I password protect a single post?  If not, I can move it to a password protected forum.

If the post is password protected, are the images that are uploaded also password protected?  Can I simply navigate to the image folder and it will still be viewable?

I've had a couple of problems with a particular thread, and it's rather popular so I'd prefer not to delete it.

I got a DMCA request for an image.  I suspect they were using some automated way to find their images that have been posted without permission.  I immediately took the image down.  To prevent this from happening in the future I'd like it if the images were hidden.

Another workaround is to not allow guests from viewing images.  They most likely used a reverse image search on Google.

4 minutes ago, Joel R said:

Another workaround is to not allow guests from viewing images.  They most likely used a reverse image search on Google.

Thanks.

1. How?
  2. Would that stop them from being able to view this: http://squarewheelscycling.com/uploads/monthly_2016_09/1472815942540-1317150546.thumb.jpg.5b5c4f2305cdcc99cf3fba02a0cde7b8.jpg ?

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Nothing. Like I said. IPS has not option in place to serve images from a hidden folder through PHP authentication of each user. It’s technically possible, but has lots of drawbacks. 

Archived