Record Feed block not showing anything

Lori Nelson

10 hours ago, opentype said:

Looks like you are missing the database on that page. 

Not sure what you mean. the block doesn't work even on the page with the database on it. I don't think it even needs to be on the same page as the database right?

It works if I use a different database. It just won't show a feed from this database. Is there something I should be troubleshooting?

8 hours ago, Lori Nelson said:

I don't think it even needs to be on the same page as the database right?

Yes, it does. 

8 hours ago, Lori Nelson said:

Is there something I should be troubleshooting?

I guess opening a support ticket is the quickest way to have this resolved. 

35 minutes ago, Edward Shephard said:

The block doesn't need to be on the same page as the database …

Well that’s how it is meant to be, at least. The Record Feed Widget doesn’t even show up as option in the sidebar unless you have a database on the page you are editing. So if you – as shown in the screenshot – have that feed block on a page, but not the respective database, the latter was probably deleted later – and that can’t work, as you explained. The block links to the page with the database – if there no place to link to yet, it can’t work. 

37 minutes ago, opentype said:
1 hour ago, Edward Shephard said:

The block doesn't need to be on the same page as the database …

Well that’s how it is meant to be, at least. The Record Feed Widget doesn’t even show up as option in the sidebar unless you have a database on the page you are editing.

Correlation <> Causation sir. You can indeed still make a custom block using the Record Feed Plugin from the Pages ACP and place it anywhere in the suite using the 'Custom Blocks' widget, so long as the database is on some page as mentioned. It is not a true limitation, just an odd design decision.

13 minutes ago, Marcher Technologies said:

Correlation <> Causation sir. You can indeed still make a custom block using the Record Feed Plugin from the Pages ACP and place it anywhere in the suite using the 'Custom Blocks' widget, so long as the database is on some page as mentioned. It is not a true limitation, just an odd design decision.

I specifically said Record Feed widget and I was only talking about that, since that was used here. What you are saying about the Record Feed PLUGIN is correct, but I didn’t say anything about that in the quoted section. So I am not sure why you throw that “Correlation <> Causation sir.” at me. 

1 minute ago, opentype said:

I specifically said Record Feed widget and I was only talking about that, since that was used here. What you are saying about the Record Feed PLUGIN is correct, but I didn’t say anything about that in the quoted section. So I am not sure why you throw that “Correlation <> Causation sir.” at me. 

... fair enough. that's really quite silly to expect all that additional work to place a widget elsewhere simply to save the effort of choosing the source database. Did not realize the widget itself forced that.

Back on topic.... OP, edit the widget. is the dropdown for sort order populated, or not? I think I might have hit this a few weeks ago. If the dropdown is empty, it's most likely that it's silently erroring on the order clause of the query due to no field supplied. Probably worth a ticket if that is the case, one can work around it by making a custom block however.

Archived