How do I Upgrade CKEditor to the "Standard" Editor?

Bendensin

I want to make our CK Editor like the demo on the CK Editor site, which is using the standard editor, rather than the basic editor which comes with IPCommunity.

I've downloaded the Standard Editor files and unzipped them, but now what do I do?

Do I simply upload the standard editor files into the CKEditor folder at admin/applications/core/interface/ckeditor?

Basic - the editor, plus some plugins.

Standard = the editor, plus some more plugins.

Full = the editor, plus all the plugins.

You do not upload the ckeditor folder as you describe - you're in for a world of hurt if you do that.

Instead....you download and install the additional plugins you want to use, then move them to the editor....all via the ACP functionality, not via FTP.

Screenshot_14.png

Thanks Nathan, I'm glad I asked. On the CK editor page it looks like you can download and install different versions. This is the first time I've seen it described the way you have described it. You might have saved me from that world of hurt. ^_^

For my first plugin, I'm trying to install the Location Map. At the moment it doesn't show a map, just an image of the the forum page itself. Apparently Location Map requires two other things from CKEditor which are not buttons, "Widget" and "Line Utilities." Is there a way to install these via the ACP as well, since they are not buttons added to the toolbar?

Thanks Nathan. It looks like that was the problem with the maps.

Now I'm trying to install Quicktable. Apparently that's the free one which is displayed on CKEditor's demo. I'm trying to upload the one which is compatible with version 4.5, but I am getting this error:

1C120/9 The plugin does not appear to be valid. Make sure that you have uploaded the plugin exactly as you downloaded it.

Have you or anyone experienced this error before, and been able to solve the problem?

What I did is name the .zip file "quicktable" and the file within the zip file "quicktable." Is that what you meant? I tried that and it gave me a different error:

2C120/5 We have detected that the following 1 plugins are required, but are not installed. You will need to obtain these plugins from the CKEditor website and install them as well.

table

Is that saying there is a plugin called "table." I went back to the Plugins section of the CK Editor and there is a plug-in called "table." But the button next to it says "remove," rather than download, so I assume I already have it. On the page for "table" it recommends the "table tools" plug-in, perhaps that is what I should be installing.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm now trying to install a GoogleMaps plug-in. Basically it just involves uploading files into the CKEditor directory, which I have done. There's no XML file. But I can't see the button or any options anywhere in the editor on my site or in the Admin CP.

The instructions said this:

2. Adding it to CKEditor

Now add the plugin in your config.js or custom js configuration file: If you are already using other additional plugins, then you must have a single extraPlugins statements with all the plugins separated by commas: config.extraPlugins='confighelper,googlemaps';

So I added that line to config.js.

Next the instructions said this:

3. Adding it to the toolbarset

Add the button 'GoogleMaps' (case sensitive) to your toolbarset:

config.toolbar_Full = [ ['Source','-','Save','NewPage','Preview','-','Templates'], ['Cut','Copy','Paste','PasteText','PasteFromWord','-','Print', 'SpellChecker', 'Scayt'], ['Undo','Redo','-','Find','Replace','-','SelectAll','RemoveFormat'], ['Form', 'Checkbox', 'Radio', 'TextField', 'Textarea', 'Select', 'Button', 'ImageButton', 'HiddenField'], '/', ['Bold','Italic','Underline','Strike','-','Subscript','Superscript'], ['NumberedList','BulletedList','-','Outdent','Indent','Blockquote'], ['JustifyLeft','JustifyCenter','JustifyRight','JustifyBlock'], ['Link','Unlink','Anchor'], ['Image','Flash','Table','HorizontalRule','Smiley','SpecialChar','PageBreak'], '/', ['Styles','Format','Font','FontSize'], ['TextColor','BGColor'], ['Maximize', 'ShowBlocks','-','About'], ['GoogleMaps'] ];

The instructions don't say where I would add this code. I asked the developer and he said

If you don't know where's the toolbar then that means that you don't have defined one, so it should work automatically with the default toolbar.

Is there something that I have to do to "define" the toolbar, or some file somewhere where I need to add that code?

I just installed the CKEditor plug-in, GoogleMaps.

It creates a Google map with the option to add multiple markers with descriptions, draw lines, areas, etc, with the map being a static image, or turned into a working Google map (scrolling, zooming) when the page loads or when the user clicks on the static image.

But even if I select the on click or on page load options, it's still just a static image. Would that be because the community software is blocking JavaScript from running? And is there a way to configure things so a fully-functional Google map could be added to a topic or an article?

1 minute ago, Bendensin said:

I just installed the CKEditor plug-in, GoogleMaps.

It creates a Google map with the option to add multiple markers with descriptions, draw lines, areas, etc, with the map being a static image, turned into a working Google map (scrolling, zooming) on page load or on click.

But even if I select the on click or on page load options, it's still just a static image. Would that be because the community software is blocking JavaScript from running? And is there a way to configure things so a fully-functional Google map could be added to a topic or an article?

As the plugin is a commercial release, it's going to be difficult to assist.

But yes, if the resulting html source in the editor (after using the button) contains javascript then it will get stripped as it's not exactly safe.

I'm happy to take a look further but it will require you to provide me with the zip file, along with any other instructions.

I have installed a goodly number of extra plugins.  For anyone who is just starting to play with these always remember to make sure that it is certified to work for ver 4.5.7.  Another thing that can be done is to right click on the icon after you install it and you will notice that it can be permission driven as well.  I have some plugins that I only want the site Administrator or other usergroups to have access to.  One final thing is sometime, even with the best of intentions, a plugin will go bad on the install.  You will know this when the toolbar suddenly becomes blank.  You will have to reset to default to clear the bad plugin and then reinstall all of the plugins that you installed. 

These things can make such a difference to your site.  When you are making pages for your site some are actually a GodSend!!  Nathan did a fantastic job in this thread explaining how to work with them!

Here is a list of most of the ones that I have installed.  I may actually zip them all up someday and make them available....or just go to ckeditor.com and grab them.

If anybody needs a map function, the only one which works with IPC is the Wenz Google Map. It's free. All of the other ones (I tried them) either wiped out my toolbar (and I had to re-set it to default), or they installed, but wouldn't work because of the JavaScript the finished map was trying to run. The Wenz Google Map takes both street addresses and coordinates, it posts a zoomable, dragable map with a centered marker, and has the usual "view larger map" link at the upper right. That takes the user to Google Maps, and also places the marker there. It's also very simple for members to understand and use.

53 minutes ago, Nathan Explosion said:

Yes, but you "making them available" when they are already available in their rightful location isn't exactly a good idea - keep a copy for yourself, but distribution isn't a good idea.

Just link people to the relevant locations on the ckeditor plugin page.

thanks for the suggestion....I have modified my post

• 8 months later...

Archived