new to reputation, looking for advice and clarification

raincat

Hi there.  This is partly technical support and partly a request for general advice, so I put it in here, hope that'll work.

Is there some sort of guide or a thread in here that informatively discusses reputation?  I don't mean formatting or a technical glitch, just using it in general.  I've done several searches, but am not coming up with anything super helpful.  

Basically, it seems like a cool concept that could be very helpful and I THINK I'd like to use it, but it's become clear to me that I don't understand it fully.  I've never used it before in a live forum, could do so in the near future after I finish upgrading, but feel uncomfy doing that when I don't really know what's happening.  I'd rather go in with some clear ideas.

And I imagine I don't know what's happening in part because I don't know what it's doing in HERE.

So next to my username in here, it says my reputation is a plus 6.  But when you click on that and go to my profile under reputation, it just says, "There's nothing here yet."

While I do appreciate the positive numeral in theory, I'm now curious how that happened, not so much for this forum, just for future reference for my own forum.

And while I suspect this is now getting too long for anyone to bother answering, I'd also really appreciate any advice on the positive/negative thing I see in the ACP, or . . . using that, how that tends to go for others.  

ANY general advice would be appreciated, but specifically I was wondering about the negative thing.  Including the ability to rank negatively as well as positively would be a lot more informative, sure, but it also seems like the sort of thing that could provoke hostility or a hostile defensive response, etc.

I've never hosted nor participated (much) in any forum where negative ranking of others' posts was allowed.  I'm really wondering how that would go.  Yes, I'm sure it's different for different audiences, but not knowing about mine in advance, any story or advice (or links to such) would be helpful for me at this point.  

Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I can't seem to find a setting for negative reputation appearing in the notifications. As of now - users are notified only about positive reputation. Does the option to show negative reputation even exist? I wasn't able to find it anywhere in ACP.

• 1 month later...
On 4.1.2016 at 10:15 PM, B_U_R_I said:

I can't seem to find a setting for negative reputation appearing in the notifications. As of now - users are notified only about positive reputation. Does the option to show negative reputation even exist? I wasn't able to find it anywhere in ACP.

that is something i am really missing in forums, can that be enabled becose some members are disliking old Posts (every day) and then some members are wondering why they get very bad reputation?

On 30/11/2015 at 7:00 PM, raincat said:

So next to my username in here, it says my reputation is a plus 6.  But when you click on that and go to my profile under reputation, it just says, "There's nothing here yet."

You're now a 7 and the reason for that is that since you made this post, somebody (genrobgen, further down the thread) has liked one of your posts. Your "reputation" isn't arbitrarily decided but is the result of somebody clicking "Like this" to one of your content items.

The "There's nothing here yet" is a product of a rather strange decision, in my opinion. It's defaulting (on the left-hand side) to reputation scored for your status updates. I think it should be defaulting to "all" or, at the very least, one of the apps which tend to generate more reputation. After all, if you click on the profile to see the member's reputation, the chances are you'll be doing it not from reading a status update, but from having just come across the member in one of the more active areas of the suite.

Archived