Advanced Favicons

Makoto

This is the support and feedback thread for the Advanced Favicons application,

Please see the above link for a description of the application. If you need any help or have any suggestions to make, you can post them here! You're also free to send me a personal message (for suggestions or support requests) if that's easier for you.

Hi Makoto,

Do you have the rewrite rules for the nginx?

I am using following one, however, it doesn't work..

# for the Advanced Favicons IPS application
	location = /favicon.ico {
		try_files $uri /index.php;
		log_not_found off;
		access_log off;
	}

location ~* "^favicon-\d{1,3}x\d{1,3}.png$" {
		log_not_found off;
		access_log off;
	}

location ~* "^apple-touch-icon(-precomposed|-\d{1,3}x\d{1,3})?.png$" {
		log_not_found off;
		access_log off;
	}

location = /safari-pinned-tab.svg {
		log_not_found off;
		access_log off;
	}

location ~* "^mstile-\d{1,3}x\d{1,3}.png$" {
		log_not_found off;
		access_log off;
	}

location ~* "^android-chrome-\d{1,3}x\d{1,3}.png$" {
		log_not_found off;
		access_log off;
	}

• 2 weeks later...

I've posted an update that resolves the issues with Windows 8/10 favicons. You'll need to run the setup wizard again after upgrading for these changes to take effect.

@icedream Generally it should "just work" unless you have some other rewrite rules that are overriding the configuration you've posted here. Can you post your full server configuration here, or send it to me in a private message?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Sull5 said:

Hello,

I'm checking out your example URL in the description for this application, though it seems to have its issues. 

http://realfavicongenerator.net/favicon_checker?site=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.makoto.io

favicon.ico seems corrupted or not in ICO format.

The apple-touch-icon.png file is not present.

Will you take a look ?

Thanks!

This was an issue caused by some recent backend server changes that disabled rewrites for the application. This has been resolved, and the results should all be green again. Thanks for the report.

On 1/16/2016 at 5:40 PM, iacas said:

The issue with the Safari Pinned Tab being that blue color you picked (not the color I specified) is still a bug.

Can you try running the setup wizard again and see if that resolves the issue?

On 1/4/2016 at 6:27 AM, maidos said:

btw also on nginx and the rewrite rules doesnt work. 

I've written up a basic set of Nginx rewrite rules for the application. You can find them here,
https://github.com/FujiMakoto/nginx-helpers/blob/develop/includes/ips/advanced_favicons

You'll just need to make sure these are included before any location blocks for static files and have these requests routed directly to IPS/PHP.

2 hours ago, Makoto said:

This was an issue caused by some recent backend server changes that disabled rewrites for the application. This has been resolved, and the results should all be green again. Thanks for the report.

Can you try running the setup wizard again and see if that resolves the issue?

I've written up a basic set of Nginx rewrite rules for the application. You can find them here,
https://github.com/FujiMakoto/nginx-helpers/blob/develop/includes/ips/advanced_favicons

You'll just need to make sure these are included before any location blocks for static files and have these requests routed directly to IPS/PHP.

location ~ "^/apple-touch-icon(?:-precomposed|-\d{1,3}x\d{1,3})?.png$" {

try_files $uri @ips;

where is @ips being referred from?

• 2 months later...

There's some problems with my setup after running through your app, according to the favicon checker:

favicon.ico seems corrupted or not in ICO format.

Some picture(s) are missing in favicon.ico:

16x16 picture
32x32 picture
48x48 picture

The apple-touch-icon.png file is not present.

Some iOS pictures are missing:

114x114 picture
72x72 picture
144x144 picture
60x60 picture
120x120 picture
76x76 picture
152x152 picture
180x180 picture

The apple-touch-icon-precomposed.png file is not present. Even if it was deprecated since the release of iOS7, it is still a good idea to have it. 

Any idea why this is happening? If you PM me, I can give you login info if you need it to debug.

PS: I've attached the master image I used.

icon-960.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

on storage configuration i get an error trying to change different storage path

Fatal error: Call to a member function count() on array in /home/user/public_html/forum/applications/favicons/extensions/core/FileStorage/Favicons.php on line 36

• 2 years later...

This is just an update with 4.4 coming around.

As the features and functionalities of the Advanced Favicons application are being integrated into core in the next major release of IPS, support for this application will subsequently be discontinued after this point.

If you are using this application on your site, you will want to uninstall it prior to upgrading to IPS 4.4 to avoid conflicting with IPS' new native Application Manifest support.

For more information on this feature, please refer to IPS' blog post here:

Though the repository will be archived after 4.4 is released, the source code for this application has now been made public for academic use (if anyone wishes)..
https://dev.taiga.sh/makoto/IPS-Advanced-Favicons

Archived