BBCode Bashment

ZakRhyno

So the witch doctors of IPB have sent BBCode back to the nothingness from which it came. So my question is if we can't use BBCode anymore, how do you do stuff that BBCode did in the new IPB 4 series framework? So I like to use stuff like http://community.invisionbyte.net/files/file/262-hilight-bbcodes/ are a sample picture below. What are the options that could fill the void of BBCode did?

index.php.thumb.png.0df5c39284deb5e54e14  

29 minutes ago, ZakRhyno said:

So the witch doctors of IPB have sent BBCode back to the nothingness from which it came. So my question is if we can't use BBCode anymore, how do you do stuff that BBCode did in the new IPB 4 series framework? So I like to use stuff like http://community.invisionbyte.net/files/file/262-hilight-bbcodes/ are a sample picture below. What are the options that could fill the void of BBCode did?

Hire a coder to develop you an add-on to do it I guess.  

No need to be able to do it yourself, as most IPB/IPS customers just want a turn key solution that they don't have to do much with on "advanced user" features and "power" users are the minority.

Yes, I'm being somewhat sarcastic - this is just a reworded statement of what I was told most IPS/IPB forum owners are.  It's one thing I like about my other script.  You can create your own BBcode(s) and also your own Media BBcode(s), which you cannot do without making it an add-on with IPS 4.0 series.  Not all of us have money to keep throwing at bespoke development for our sites for something that on other scripts you can do natively.

6 minutes ago, ZakRhyno said:

Ah... okay.

There may be some editor plugins available that you could install also.

From this page

https://community.invisionpower.com/blogs/entry/9539-ips-40-editor-part-3-customisation-and-bbcode/

The downside to this approach is that custom BBCodes can no longer be added through the Admin CP. However, as mentioned above, we now have the ability to add custom buttons to the editor which work in a much more intuitive way, and can do everything that custom BBCodes could and more. For those who really want to be able to add the ability for custom BBCode, we've isolated the method that returns the supported BBCode (and information needed to parse them) into a specific method so that custom BBCode can be added with a very simple hook specific to that purpose.

3 hours ago, ZakRhyno said:

index.php.thumb.png.0df5c39284deb5e54e14  

What you show in the picture is still possible, it’s just not bb code outputted as HTML anymore, but HTML directly. Setting up such a highlight code now is basically the same procedure as doing as bb code in 3.4. 

15 hours ago, opentype said:

What you show in the picture is still possible, it’s just not bb code outputted as HTML anymore, but HTML directly. Setting up such a highlight code now is basically the same procedure as doing as bb code in 3.4. 

I'm just gotten IPB 4 series. Could you walk me through the way to do it in the system?

In 3.4 it’s: Look & Feel → Post Content → BB code management → Add BB code

in 4.x it’s: Customization → Editor → Toolbars → Add button → Custom

There you need to add the HTML code the button should create. I don’t know what code the highlight boxes you showed use, so I can’t get into any more details. 

On 10/28/2015, 1:48:38, opentype said:

In 3.4 it’s: Look & Feel → Post Content → BB code management → Add BB code

in 4.x it’s: Customization → Editor → Toolbars → Add button → Custom

There you need to add the HTML code the button should create. I don’t know what code the highlight boxes you showed use, so I can’t get into any more details. 

Got ya let me try it out and I report back. Thanks

Archived