Unable to run the upgrade to IPS4

I have been trying to upgrade my community from 3.4.7 to 4.0.8 but I can't run the upgrade. Every time I go to the upgrade path, I get the following error:

An error occurred (500 Error)

We're sorry, but a temporary technical error has occurred which means we cannot display this site right now.

You can try again by clicking the button below, or try again later.

I have converted the database and this was confirmed as being completed.

The files were re-uploaded and I still get the error :(

Is there something I am missing or doing wrong?

Is there anything else displayed on the page ie an EX error code ?

You are visiting /admin/upgrade yes ? (sorry to ask but it has been known)

Do you have a renamed admin directory ? (Personally I found it easier/safer to change it back to normal, upgrade then change it afterwards)

EDIT... Just took a quick look at the site, I'd suggest a ticket so a tech can take a look at the error log to see why it is doing that. I'd sort of expect that on the front end before upgrading but I'd expect the upgrader to load at least.

Is there anything else displayed on the page ie an EX error code ?

You are visiting /admin/upgrade yes ? (sorry to ask but it has been known)

Do you have a renamed admin directory ? (Personally I found it easier/safer to change it back to normal, upgrade then change it afterwards)

EDIT... Just took a quick look at the site, I'd suggest a ticket so a tech can take a look at the error log to see why it is doing that. I'd sort of expect that on the front end before upgrading but I'd expect the upgrader to load at least.

Hi AndyF.

Thank you for your reply. I didn't know if I missed something but I have now raised a support ticket to see what is causing this issue.
Hopefully it's a quick fix and the upgrader can be run as normal :)

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'IPS\Db\Exception' with message 'Table 'allcarso_forum.x_utf_ibf_core_sessions' doesn't exist' in /var/sites/a/all-carsonline.co.uk/public_html/forums/system/Db/Db.php:363 Stack trace: #0 /var/sites/a/all-carsonline.co.uk/public_html/forums/system/Db/Db.php(622): IPS\_Db->preparedQuery('REPLACE INTO `x...', Array) #1 /var/sites/a/all-carsonline.co.uk/public_html/forums/system/Session/Front.php(274): IPS\_Db->replace('core_sessions', Array, true) #2 [internal function]: IPS\Session\_Front->write('03ccc1a92343e11...', '') #3 {main} thrown in /var/sites/a/all-carsonline.co.uk/public_html/forums/system/Db/Db.php on line 363

i get this error from your site .

That error (on the front end) I would not be 'that' concerned about as you have a 3x database and 4x files so you will have odd issues until the upgrader is ran (it was the same fora  2x to 3x upgrade the front end would be broken until the upgrade was ran)

The issue here is the fact you cannot access the upgrader. If you are 100% sure all files are uploaded correctly (paying attention to a renamed admin directory) then a ticket is the way to go.

That error (on the front end) I would not be 'that' concerned about as you have a 3x database and 4x files so you will have odd issues until the upgrader is ran (it was the same fora  2x to 3x upgrade the front end would be broken until the upgrade was ran)

The issue here is the fact you cannot access the upgrader. If you are 100% sure all files are uploaded correctly (paying attention to a renamed admin directory) then a ticket is the way to go.

That explains that one. Come to think of it, I remember getting a similar issue when I upgraded from 2.3 to 3.0

All files were uploaded as directed and the admin folder is as it should be - nothing was altered.

A ticket has been submitted so hopefully they can fix the issue for me.

If you have access to the php error logs they (might) reveal some clues as to the cause, failing that look in the webroot (public_html) and / or the forum directory for an 'error_log' file. Note it may be an old file but the last entries could be helpful. I'd suggest leaving it if you find one as the tech may want to examine the last entries to it too, if they are relevant to the IPS4 issue.

If you have access to the php error logs they (might) reveal some clues as to the cause, failing that look in the webroot (public_html) and / or the forum directory for an 'error_log' file. Note it may be an old file but the last entries could be helpful. I'd suggest leaving it if you find one as the tech may want to examine the last entries to it too, if they are relevant to the IPS4 issue.

The last entry into the error log was the 7th of May which doesn't help pinpoint the problem :o

I am hoping this is an easy fix and not a major problem that requires a lot of work to fix..

No too old as you say, it was worth a look though. :)

It does not sound that difficult as if the files are all there it should really be showing you the upgrader login page not any error (I would expect the front end to be broken at this point though) but not the upgrader...

UPDATE:

After contacting IPS, they informed me that the database conversion was done before I uploaded the files. I tried to do the upgrade like I did with the Beta release on my test board but didn't read the instructions properly on upgrading to the new live version. I didn't realise the converter was already in the installation process.

Anyway, after restoring a back up of my database (YOU SOON LEARN THE IMPORTANCE OF DOING A BACKUP), and working IPS, we managed to get the upgrade sorted. There were a few teething problems with missing css files, but within minutes, IPS managed to fix this problem and now everything is running well.

Thanks for the advice and thanks to IPS for helping fix this problem.

Archived