Admin Groups Are No Longer Moderators by Default?

GrooveOnBeat

I created an administrator group.  I set the administrator restrictions in "Staff". I added a member into the administrator group I just created.  In "Security" the member shows as an Administrator.

So how is it that on the forums this member cannot see the ModCP and doesn't have the moderator tools?  In IPB4, is it now required that even members in Administrator groups have to have a secondary group as Moderators in order to moderate?  Or maybe it's simple and I'm missing a setting?

In Members->Moderators add the group.

eUiSgU6.png

Thanks for replying!

Before posting this topic I did that but thought Administrators by default should already have moderator privileges.  In IPB 3 we didn't have to do this extra step.  It will take me a while to get used to IPB 4. :lol:

I'm glad I'm not the only one. :lol:

I agree with you that Administrator groups should be at the top of the chain and then filtered out through restrictions.  Maybe in IPB 4, Administrator groups just means groups with ACP access.  For more control I can see the logic, like for instance a designer will need access to the templates but don't need moderator rights.  If that is the case, then Administrator groups is misleading.

Maybe in IPB 4, Administrator groups just means groups with ACP access.

​This was actually the definition of an administrator in 3. I actually like that 4 does NOT assume Admin===Moderator. They are two separate things and have been for quite some time. Admins are ACP management, Moderators front, and most often the mods will be different people than the admins.

​This was actually the definition of an administrator in 3. I actually like that 4 does NOT assume Admin===Moderator. They are two separate things and have been for quite some time. Admins are ACP management, Moderators front, and most often the mods will be different people than the admins.

I see what you mean. I'd just figure if in the admin group you'd have mod powers. Either way this is a non-issue and just a simple setting and that allows for more flexibility so I agree! ;)

Flexibility is always a good thing.

​Going by that definition then I agree that it's not to assume that Admin = Moderator.  I guess it's the way I'm reading "Administrator", which is a position at the top of the hierarchy.  Thanks for clarifying! :smile:

Archived