Paypal subscriptions 4.0 no longer work, IPS says to cancel them?? Can't you create a legacy gateway?

chilihead

4 hours ago, tekguru said:

There are two levels of business account evidently. When I spoke to PayPal about the IPS4.x gateways they told me that only the chargeable business accounts supported the new API that IPS4 uses. I'd be very happy to be proven wrong! But that was what I was told after a long (two week) exchange of messages between myself and Invision Support and PayPal.

I have a business paypal account and use it with IPS 4.x, I have never been charged a fee whatsoever.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, tekguru said:

Yes I went that route and it didn't work with IPS4, PayPal support advised to get it to work I'd have had to pay. In the end I got PayPal to revert my account back to a personal one once the testing had been proven not to work. If you don't believe me do what I did and raise a ticket with Invision Support and with Paypal and see how far you get.

The legacy gateway is indeed still working!

because for the new ones, you turn off legacy on your paypal. and the keys you use on the new paypal intergration is at https://developer.paypal.com/  ; doesnt cost me a dime. i am still on the free business plan.

Same here, on the free PayPal account and using the developer API, we are able to accept single Payments.

From what I understand if we wanted to accept subscription Payments we'ed need to use the gateway that accepts CCs on our site, and that requires a Paid Paypal.

Just need PayPal subscriptions for PayPal payments.

32 minutes ago, tekguru said:

Right, this is where we get crossed wires, the issue is with 'Paypal Subscriptions', that is automatically repeated payments and that does require the Paid Business Account :) Thanks for confirming @MastricX

I think it's better to link to PayPal page that has the relevant and correct information? On my PayPal page - in my language - they claim that theres no extra costs..

Also look here https://www.paypal.com/pdn-recurring

20 hours ago, MastricX said:

Same here, on the free PayPal account and using the developer API, we are able to accept single Payments.

From what I understand if we wanted to accept subscription Payments we'ed need to use the gateway that accepts CCs on our site, and that requires a Paid Paypal.

Just need PayPal subscriptions for PayPal payments.

I am able to accept recurring payments just fine on the new paypal and free account. even have my account setup to auto withdraw to the bankaccount nightly so nothing is stored in paypal.

4 minutes ago, tekguru said:

Okay if that is now possible can you please advise how you configured IPS4 and PyPal to allow you to do that?

Auto Withdrawal? - email/call paypal support to activate its free and takes a second.

1time and recurring? - you make sure to select the future payments box, and it saves a token. 3790d87e97.png

They do offer a sandbox key as well, just in case you want to double check before you go live with your community. its very easy to setup, which is why I've always been confused with this topic on why the hesitation to change.

Okay on my account I see the same as you:

live_paypal.thumb.jpg.742c23357be262addc

However at the top of the 'live' page I see:

live_paypal_warning.thumb.jpg.59cff3ad3c

But I if I click on the 'account eligibility' I get:

live_paypal_enable.thumb.jpg.8caf6a53030

If I expand that I get:

paypal_contact.thumb.jpg.06ed39015fbfce0

When I contacted PayPal I was told I had to upgrade to a paid business account to get that facility.

I've just asked PayPal support:

Guys can you please advise if I can get 'Future Payments' enabled on my account without transitioning to a paid business account?

Will see what they come back with!

On 11/25/2015, 5:49:52, tekguru said:

Okay on my account I see the same as you:

live_paypal.thumb.jpg.742c23357be262addc

However at the top of the 'live' page I see:

live_paypal_warning.thumb.jpg.59cff3ad3c

But I if I click on the 'account eligibility' I get:

live_paypal_enable.thumb.jpg.8caf6a53030

If I expand that I get:

paypal_contact.thumb.jpg.06ed39015fbfce0

When I contacted PayPal I was told I had to upgrade to a paid business account to get that facility.

I've just asked PayPal support:

Will see what they come back with!

have you tried just clicking on enable. I have it enabled on my account without having to pay a dime for paypal. The only fees i pay are the normal processing fee.

I'm dying to know how some of you are getting auto-renewal PayPal subscriptions working on Commerce...

Tech support just told me it's impossible until they build it into IPB4, were they wrong about their own product?

It worked ok on IPB3, and we can still accept auto-renewal subscriptions using PayPal's code, but not in IPB4. :(

Looks like we have it set up to work in the new PayPal app we set up for IPB4.

565ef468206fe_ScreenShot2015-12-02at5.36

This is a really, really, really big issue as it affects customer retention in a HUGE way.

This is a really, really, really big issue as it affects customer retention in a HUGE way.

Ya, no kidding... Its a mess.  And Invision Power has no incentive to fix this because if they keep it they way they have it, it forces people to use Stripe... which means that they get to sell you SSL certificates. By keeping the recurring payment feature bugged up on 4.0, Invision Power gets to sell SSL certificates to customers that have to have recurring payments through Stripe.

I highly recommend that you contact Esther at Handstandconsulting.com ... she is amazing... she fixed my recurring payments system and everything else on my site... she knows how to do it. 

On August 31, 2015 at 1:46:01 PM, Mark said:

In IP.Nexus for IP.Board 3, there were two PayPal gateways: "PayPal (Website Payments Standard)" (where the user gets redirected to paypal.com, which does not require an SSL certificate) and "PayPal (Website Payments Pro)" (where the user enters card information directly on your site, which does require an SSL certificate).

In IPS Community Suite 4, both options are still available, though both are now under a single "PayPal" gateway (and within that, it asks you which method you want) and how recurring payments works has changed if you choose the option for users to be taken to paypal.com, recurring subscriptions can no longer be created (though ones created before upgrading are still recognised, a feature that was added since this topic was started). This is because when we wrote IPS4, PayPal's API didn't include support for it. It does now, and we intend to add support in a future version.

If indeed there is still no way to sell auto-renew subscriptions in IPB4, any indication of how high a priority this is, or a timeline?

On August 22, 2015 at 10:43:40 AM, tekguru said:

Automatic subscription options as I understand it:

• Credit Card via Paypal business
  • Credit card via Stripe/SSL
  • Credit card via alternative payment system

All those will avoid "recurring invoice reminder to renew". That is as far as I got with my investigations as my users do not want to use credit cards. Hope that helps.

Got ask... Can anyone else confirm that one of these work for selling new automatic-renewal subscriptions?

I'm dubious about the first one because we DO have a business account (no monthly fees) and as I mentioned earlier, we can accept auto-subscriptions, just not through IPB4.

We have Stripe set up and working with subscription sales but we've only had one-time purchases come through so far and don't see any options to change this.

No experience with alternative gateways on IPB4 myself.

Can you tell this is making me anxious?  

I too would like to see what would happen if IPB's own retention of software subscriptions if they couldn't auto-renew.

We do have SSL on a self-hosted IPB4 installation, been a customer almost since Invision's first year.

Well PayPal are a joke. PayPal Customer services advised:

Thank you for contacting PayPal regarding taking 'Future Payments' via an application that you have created.

My name is Wayne and I work on the Product and Site Support team. I completely appreciate that this issue will be affecting you and your business. Don’t worry; I’ll be able to assist you with resolving your query.

I’ve reviewed your account and website and from my perspective everything is set up correctly. Due to this, please contact our Merchant Technical Support team who are our Web Developers and will be able to get this resolved for you.

I would normally route your email through to them however they can only be contacted via submitting a ticket on their website.

After you submit your inquiry, you should get a response within 24 hours. If you haven’t already created an account for the Merchant Technical Support site, please create one. Here’s how:

Go to paypal.com/mts and click Sign Up in the top right-hand side of the window.
    Enter your information and click Create Account. You can use any valid email address.

After you have created your account, you can submit your question. Here’s how:

Go to paypal.com/mts and click Contact Technical Support.
    Fill in the form in as much detail as you can and click Continue.

I’m confident that once you’ve completed the steps above the issue will be resolved. Best of luck in the future.

It is my pleasure to assist you. Thank you for choosing PayPal.

and so I contacted the Merchant Technical Support team, and they have advised:

I apologize for any inconvenience. PayPal Merchant Technical Services provides assistance with integrating PayPal as a payment solution on the merchant's web site. Unfortunately, we don't have the account access available to enable this option for you, so you will need to contact PayPal Customer Service to resolve this issue. The PayPal Customer Service team is specially trained to address all account inquiries.

So it looks like a classic left hand and right hand situation.

59 minutes ago, Robert Lunte said:

Esther at Handstandconsulting.com ... she is amazing.

And I guess she would charge, but then again Handstandconsulting.com does not resolve for me....

So no offense to Esther at headstand consulting, but what does she do that is so special to enable recurring Paypal payments in IP 4? Is she patching the code w/some custom routine to make it work or is it simply a setup issue? The people recommending her are being incredibly vague and the fact that IP developers are silent on the matter is really disturbing. 

What exactly is Stripe and why should anyone use it? Our domain already has an SSL certificate and we run our own box, so are we good to go or not? I don't understand why something that worked fine before has to be so complicated now. Kinda regretting switching to IP from VB.

1 hour ago, Brian Khan said:

So no offense to Esther at headstand consulting, but what does she do that is so special to enable recurring Paypal payments in IP 4? Is she patching the code w/some custom routine to make it work or is it simply a setup issue? The people recommending her are being incredibly vague and the fact that IP developers are silent on the matter is really disturbing. 

What exactly is Stripe and why should anyone use it? Our domain already has an SSL certificate and we run our own box, so are we good to go or not? I don't understand why something that worked fine before has to be so complicated now. Kinda regretting switching to IP from VB.

I dont use Headstand, Its just paypal using what was provided on the developer.paypal.com and i dont pay anything extra to do recurring payments. Just today, I had a guy sign up for recurring through paypal without any errors or hickups. While I do offer stripe as well for other users.

Stipe is basically a payment processor, unlike paypal who trys to be a bank. Stripe you accept credit/debit cards and they deposit the payments into your bank account that you specify. IMO stripe is easier as everything is handled one setup. Paypal may freak out sometimes and require action. Ive never had issues with stripe.

3 minutes ago, MADMAN32395 said:

I dont use Headstand, Its just paypal using what was provided on the developer.paypal.com and i dont pay anything extra to do recurring payments. Just today, I had a guy sign up for recurring through paypal without any errors or hickups. While I do offer stripe as well for other users.

Stipe is basically a payment processor, unlike paypal who trys to be a bank. Stripe you accept credit/debit cards and they deposit the payments into your bank account that you specify. IMO stripe is easier as everything is handled one setup. Paypal may freak out sometimes and require action. Ive never had issues with stripe.

Can you please detail what you did to get recurring PayPal payments to work with Commerce in IP4? I'm new to IP4 so I want to make sure I get this right the first time. 

Thanks.

Archived