best answer 3.4.x vs 4.x

recifbox

So something i see as a regress (but not completely :D)

in 3.4.x we get 3 form of forum type and an option for best answer 

Screen_Shot_2015-04-24_at_10.15.11.thumb

same screen in 4.x

Screen_Shot_2015-04-24_at_10.15.19.thumb

in 4.x best answer is now a type of forum so it led to my site were i have activated this feature to be converted as a complete best answer forum type lol, ok reverting the setting is taking 20 minutes not a big issue, but we lose here the ability to get the both system in the same time A forum and a best answer... is this a design choice ? because from my point of view it's not a good choice in a community to have to choose to get best answer type only or forum, is it possible to get the both way as a type and option ?

I hope they add the best answer feature back.  The current Q&A system only works for forums where everything is a question and all questions are expected to be answered and that isn't how most forums are run. I converted one of my tech support forums to the new Q&A forum and it was a total mess because it ended up as "100,000 posts need an answer" forum. 

I plan on disabling Best Answer before I upgrade to 4 as it works totally different. I also have it activated in forums where not everything is a question.

Content Highlights is coming and I hope it is more like the removed feature we had in 3.4, with some additions.

• 7 months later...

I just replied to a post and found this old thread.

#1 - THANK YOU @Adriano Faria for sharing yet more of your great work.

#2 - I've come to the conclusion that these QA forums aren't designed to be discussion forums. They work like the handful of experts sites you see when an OP asks a question and then experts each get their one chance to reply. More like Just Answers and not like the majority of sites with longer discussions about an issue and a best answer selected. I sincerely hope they don't try to "fix" this because i can't imagine how much time will be spent trying to recode the QA forums with threading ratcheted in. I'd rather see someone (or IPS) develop upon Adriano's approach. Pages needs a ton of work (and some changes) and the Forums and systems need to have the options built in to support the most common workflow as opposed to the innovations they currently have (content count.)

Archived