IPS4 Pages - Menu Suggestion

Tom S.

Hello,

In IPS4 Pages, it's possible to create a new menu item with a dropdown list. The same as the "IPS4 Resources" tab on this board.

It is also possible to set permissions on which links in the dropdown list can be viewed by member groups.

My suggestion is that if a certain member group can only view one of the links, the dropdown list shouldn't appear, and instead have the tab link directly to that page. As it seems silly if the dropdown list only contains one link. 

For example:

If IPB set the permissions of a member group to only see ISP4 Resources->Feature Plan. Then when they click IPS4 Resources it should take them straight to that page and not show them a dropdown list with one option.

Note: As IPS4 Resources is a broad term this suggestion might not seem that important. But if it was for a tab called "Marketplace". And I wanted two links for staff members such as "store front" and "store management". But for members to only have access to "store front". At this present time they would click on "Marketplace" then see the option for "store front", which is unnecessary.

Regards,

Tom

But if it was for a tab called "Marketplace". And I wanted two links for staff members such as "store front" and "store management". But for members to only have access to "store front". At this present time they would click on "Marketplace" then see the option for "store front", which is unnecessary.

​In this case I would simply create two tabs, one visible for admins, one for everyone but admins. 

I tried to give a simple example, which I see now won't convey why this is needed. So here is another more indepth reason for this feature.

Let's say I want to create my own custom application called "marketplace" using Pages. This application will contain many pages but only one page will be accessed through the tab "Marketplace". i.e. the start page. But when the other pages of the application are visited you would still want the "Marketplace" tab to highlighted. Currently the only way to get that tab to stay highlighted for multiple pages is to add each page to the "Marketplace" menu folder and then hide the page from the drop down list. I don't belive this is ideal but that's up to IPB if they want to change how that works.

But for what I want, only one page will be accessible through the tab and therefore I don't want a dropdown list to appear with just one link.

If I understand you correctly, then you are now suggesting a way to highlight tabs based arbitrary links within that menu. Which would be something very different from what you explained in the first post. 

I agree to the highlighting issue. The menu highlighting should work automatically based on the URL you set and that actually worked better in 3.4. 

I guess just ignore my first post then.

The way I believe this should work is when creating a new menu item in the ACP. You select a folder from your list of pages. Then the newly created tab will link to the default page of the selected folder, which you can specify manually. Then any other page which is accessed within that folder or subfolder will trigger the tab to be highlighted. This system would be more intuitive than having to add each individual page to the menu and then hiding them all from the dropdown list. Imagine if I plan on having 100 pages for a particular application, which I do. The current system is going to be very cumbersome as well as forces me to have a dropdown list for one link.

Archived