3.47 to RC5 upgrade not working

EricGagne

I am trying to upgrade a 3.4.7 installation to RC5 but I am getting errors.

I uploaded the RC5 files over the 3.4.x and opened /admin/upgrade in my browser.   First got a few errors because some directories were not writable but once I fixed that everyting seemed to check out ok.

But no long long after the upgrade process started I got this.

Can't find file: './test/members.frm' (errno: 2 - No such file or directory) 
 /var/www/html/forum/applications/core/setup/upg_40000/upgrade.php::43

I clicked continue and then got

Table 'test.core_members' doesn't exist 

/var/www/html/forum/system/Db/Select.php::375
SELECT member_id FROM `core_members` WHERE member_id=?

Clicked continue again and then

Data too long for column 'lang_key' at row 1 
 /var/www/html/forum/applications/core/setup/upg_40000/upgrade.php::2344
INSERT INTO `core_moderator_logs` ( `member_id`, `ctime`, `note`, `ip_address`, `appcomponent`, `module`, `controller`, `do`, `lang_key`, `class`, `item_id` ) VALUES ( ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ?, ? )

Clicked continue one more time and then started getting the core_members table error repeatedly so I just gave up.

Did you follow this guide ?

One mistake I made the first time around was:

Create a _347 backup folder move all the existing files into it. Thus creating a complete backup of the board you are working with. Do the same with your database by backing it up to another name like "new347-backup". You can do this in PhpMyAdmin.

When it tells you to MOVE all existing files into the backup folder you will have a EMPTY root folder at that point in the guide. Make SURE you leave your database intact, just make a backup.

I also uninstalled all 3 party themes, and hooks. It was a perfect upgrade to 4.0RC5

I did not follow this guide.  I just relied on this post from Stuart.

A converter?

All you need to do is upload the IPS4 files, and then visit /admin/upgrade. Follow the on-screen instructions and then you'll have an upgraded IPS4 install when you reach the end :)

I did not follow this guide.  I just relied on this post from Stuart.

Yea, that would most likely leave a bunch of themes, and hooks that were not compatible. Following the guide, and my suggestions will give you as close to a clean install as you will get by upgrading.

I should have posted more détails...............on wait.... I did but lost my post with the access denied message ;)

So here's everything.   We have a hosted community which we plan on keeping for now but we bought a full suite license to setup a test/training/development site which is what I am trying to setup now.

Step 1. Since we don't have cPanel/phpMyAdmin on hosted communities, I had to export the database to a SQL file using IPB's sql backup tool.
Step 2. In my server, I created a utf8mb4 database (because we had our hosted community converted to utf8).
Step 3. I ran the SQL file generated by IPB's backup tool to import tables and data.
Step 4. I uploaded all the 3.4.7 files to my server.
Step 5. I edited the constants.php and conf_global.php files to reflect the new environment (dbname, dbuser, etc).
Step 6. I logged in the ACP, removed "French" language and all custom themes.
Step 7. Changed all necessary settings in  ACP (License key, paths, etc)
Step 8. Rebuilt all cache.
Step 9. Uploaded RC5 files to the same directory where I installed 3.4.7.
Step 10. Opened http://mysite.com/admin/upgrade in my browser and followed the steps.

We don't have any third party app or hooks in our forum so I'm sure that is not the issue.   I am puzzled with the core_members table errors.  I don't have that table in my live community, where is it supposed to come from ?

And what about this members.frm file that is missing ?  Is it supposed to be part of the RC5 zip file ?

Hi Eric,

If this is a live site, please restore it to 3.4.7 and submit a ticket detailing the missing 'members.frm' issue. I believe we'll need to have a look at that and see what's going on.

Please also include which version of MySQL you are using, and whether you are using MyISAM for that table, or InnoDB.

Thanks

You do know that Invision Power Board Support will do the conversion, or guide you through the process by opening a ticket, correct?

Sounds like you should use Wampserver in a closed environment for all your existing testing needs. Don't run more than one live license file (more that one to the outside world), as there are consequences for doing that.

I installed Wampserver, everything by default, turned on the rewrite_module in apache modules, deleted all the files in the www folder, added my 3.4.7 files, created the database using phpmyadmin, created authentication for the database using phpmyadmin, imported my database tables using phpmyadmin, and then followed the guide.

I made SURE my 3.4.7 board was all intact before starting the 4.0 upgrade. Took me about an hour to complete.

Hi Eric,

If this is a live site, please restore it to 3.4.7 and submit a ticket detailing the missing 'members.frm' issue. I believe we'll need to have a look at that and see what's going on.

Please also include which version of MySQL you are using, and whether you are using MyISAM for that table, or InnoDB.

Thanks

Hi Stuart,

Yes it is a live site, I will go ahead an submit a ticket.  Thank you.

So here's everything.   We have a hosted community which we plan on keeping for now but we bought a full suite license to setup a test/training/development site which is what I am trying to setup now.

​Live sites are handled differently, and according to your post this was not a live site, your live site is at the Hosted Community.

Good luck...

Archived