[SEO] User Profiles... Allow to crawl or not allowed to crawl?

I don't. More so for privacy reasons though. Most of my members prefer not having their profile information publicly available to be indexed by search engines (and in the case of contact information being posted, crawled by spam bots).

I don't think member profiles offer that much of a benefit personally, nor do I think they bring any real harm, but it depends. It's something you'd need to research yourself. If you're using good analytics software, you should be able to easily measure how many of your visitors actually come from links to profile pages.

It’s also a privacy issue to me. But even more so to the individual user. A per-user setting would be the best. 

The advantage of making the profiles fully public: Traffic when people search for your user’s names.
The disadvantage: Making your users angry when they appear in search engines without actually wanting it. 

It dawned on me this afternoon why I opened it up for crawling in the first place. 

I use the Google Authorship tags - http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/396635-google-authorship-and-googleplus-tags/

It sucks, my original post in there has been erased by an errant 4.0 upgrade process.... but basically, if you intend to impliment Authorship, then you must allow user profiles to be crawled.

Should we use robots.txt to block crawlers of user profiles?  Yes/No/Discuss?

Edit: I don't mean if we should use robots.txt or not... I mean should we allow it or not.

​Thanks for the question.  I never gave this much thought until, after reading this topic.

I understand the privacy concerns to block search engines.

But isn't the question whether you should use robots.txt to block search engines instead of other means?

​No, that isn't the question.  If you don't want your user profiles to be crawled by Google, then you should do both blocking in Robots, blocking via meta tags, and blocking via ACP

The question I was asking is what would be the reasons for or against allowing google to crawl the user profiles. 

​No, that isn't the question.  If you don't want your user profiles to be crawled by Google, then you should do both blocking in Robots, blocking via meta tags, and blocking via ACP

The question I was asking is what would be the reasons for or against allowing google to crawl the user profiles. 

Well, did you choose to block them? What line did you add on robots.txt?

And what can Spam Bots get from user profiles on a forum?

Well, did you choose to block them? What line did you add on robots.txt?

And what can Spam Bots get from user profiles on a forum?

​No, I left them open because I use the google authorship tags.

If you wish to block you would add a Disallow:/user/* to your Robots.txt and then prevent guests from viewing user profiles.

Archived