Server Load Unstable?

Hello!

Can someone explain to me why my server load moves from 4.3 to 9.0 & from 9.0 to 15.3 and back & forth? Seems very abnormal to me?

I have a lot of httpd processes running as Nobody and the site has become slow.

I'm really not sure what's causing this but it is becoming very stressing.. :/

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you!

Hi Adrian :)

Please give us some more info so we can help you :)

What kind of server and hardware do you use? (Dedicated? - Cpu and ram?)

What software do you use? (Apache? Nginx? any opcode cache ? )

What settings do you use for your webserver , php and mysql?

Is cron running anything when you have the high load?

Do you have this problem at the same time daily?

Post here output of top command when you have the high load.

Hi Adrian :)

Please give us some more info so we can help you :)

What kind of server and hardware do you use? (Dedicated? - Cpu and ram?)

What software do you use? (Apache? Nginx? any opcode cache ? )

What settings do you use for your webserver , php and mysql?

Is cron running anything when you have the high load?

Do you have this problem at the same time daily?

Post here output of top command when you have the high load.

​Hello!

I'm running on a VPS with 8GB RAM, 4 vCores & a 100GB HDD.

I use Apache and I don't know my settings actually...

The problem doesn't stick. That happened yesterday and right now the server load is under 8. Not sure what happened to the server yesterday at that time.

It's very likely the high loads are not even related to your site, a vps is still sharing resources, I would speak with your hosting provider if you are having load/resource issues and let them look, they would have the ability to look at the server outside of your site/vps and see where the load is coming from etc, whereas anyone looking at your vps itself, would not have that ability. 

It's very likely the high loads are not even related to your site, a vps is still sharing resources, I would speak with your hosting provider if you are having load/resource issues and let them look, they would have the ability to look at the server outside of your site/vps and see where the load is coming from etc, whereas anyone looking at your vps itself, would not have that ability. 

​Will do. Thank you! :)

​Will do. Thank you! :)

​You have 4 cores so that means you can have a load average till 4. Higher than that and its slowing down your site.

Do you have an Opcode cache enabled, like Zend Opcache?

If not, enable it, because that can drastically improve your load average.

PS: Are you using a VPS from OVH? Because they have a VPS plan just like yours, and its the one i also have.

​The only thing that is still shared in a VPS, is the Hard Drive. But a well configured VPS, you almost don't need to access the Hard Drive, because almost everything is cached in Ram.

The Database in the Buffers and the php files in the Opcode Cache.

We can go even further and use Memcache for the user cache and if we have Nginx for the static files cache. HDD is almost not a problem anymore.

​You have 4 cores so that means you can have a load average till 4. Higher than that and its slowing down your site.

Do you have an Opcode cache enabled, like Zend Opcache?

If not, enable it, because that can drastically improve your load average.

PS: Are you using a VPS from OVH? Because they have a VPS plan just like yours, and its the one i also have.

​That's the one I'm using actually. I've had a few speed problems with them so far and their support really lacks!

How about you?

​The only thing that is still shared in a VPS, is the Hard Drive. But a well configured VPS, you almost don't need to access the Hard Drive, because almost everything is cached in Ram.

The Database in the Buffers and the php files in the Opcode Cache.

We can go even further and use Memcache for the user cache and if we have Nginx for the static files cache. HDD is almost not a problem anymore.

​You should probably look again... about the only thing that isn't shared is the processor usage and memory, everything else is shared in most cases, and the hard drive is one if the weakest links on a shared server, and a vps falls into this category. 

I don't think so, at least if the classic is working fine.

Also, they will show us the new VPS 2015 in March. So we will get an upgrade ;)

If you need some help in optimizing your vps, send me a PM.

​Thanks but I'm thinking of changing from them now. Getting a dedicated or something because their VPS was good at first but then it became laggy and slow response time.

I kept telling them that there was a speed problem with the VPS, they kept saying it was my fault. A few days later they found out that their whole network was being attacked. I have the speed problems again and still the same answer.

​You should probably look again... about the only thing that isn't shared is the processor usage and memory, everything else is shared in most cases, and the hard drive is one if the weakest links on a shared server, and a vps falls into this category. 

​The 4 most important thing in a server are:

CPU -> Not Shared

Ram -> Not Shared 

Network Bandwidth -> Shared

HDD -> Shared

Networked is shared, but for example in my case with the VPS i use, they say i get 100Mbps Guaranteed. So i imagine they have for example 1Gbps in that server and then they lock to 100Mbps to each VPS. In every test i have made. i alwasy got the 100Mbps speed for download and Upload.

For the HDD, yes its true, its the weakest part of a VPS. I don't know if you remember, but we talked via Ticket about a problem i was having with a very slow query that was creating a temporary table in the HDD. I resolved the problem with optimizing the configuration of Mysql. I guess that if we have the Ram to spare, we can drop the HDD impact to a minimal.

For example, i just stressed my HDD with this command:

dd if=/dev/zero of=test bs=64k count=16k conv=fdatasync

I then tested my site, and it was still fast with the stress happening. That means the HDD was not being a bottleneck.

Resuming, if we have my.cnf well configured so the mysql tables are all in the buffer, a Opcode Cache so the php files are compiled and stored in the Ram, a Memcache(or similar) so user cache is in the Ram and Nginx or Varnish so the Static Files are cached, the HDD impact is minimal.

Archived