Automatically remove unnecessary line breaks?

Kirill N

The default space between paragraphs can be set via CSS. 

The number of empty lines is a user choice. One might want to clearly separate paragraphs with a larger space. The software should interfere with that. That would be very annoying. 

​Take a look at the latest example I posted - do you think the user chose to have about 6 empty lines at the end of his post? Obviously that happened as a result of him copying and pasting the link. I think the system should take care of that.

​That's not the question - if there's more than 1 empty line in a post - clearly it's unwanted. 

​No it’s not. I myself use double line breaks from time to time to indicate that I start a completely different topic now. 

Or someone might just use it for fun and MAKE AN BOLD STATEMENT …

… and then say: just kidding!  :grin:
Again: I don’t want my editor to get clever and mess with what I am doing. If IPS would implement something like that, users would start complaining why the editor doesn’t respect what the user is actually creating. 

@opentype You can easily do that by adding dots at each line

like this!

I understand what you're saying but unwanted line breaks clearly happen way more often than those made on purpose so I'd rather have the editor disable them altogether than having 50% of posts look

this

@opentype You can easily do that by adding dots at each line

like this!

​I'm sorry, but that looks like crap.

I agree that the editor itself should not be adding line breaks the user didn't ask for, but there are legitimate use cases where users want more whitespace. My users do it all the time.

So no, I do not support the wholesale stripping-out of extra whitespace.

If you have one or two users who abuse whitespace, well that's what moderators are for.

Again, from what I see on this community it's not users abusing whitespace, it is unwanted whitespace that is probably a result of copypasting stuff.

​You might want to check out the topic "Paste as plain text by default". Should be enabled by default?

If it's not users abusing the line breaks, it's probably due to the HTML that's added. Most end users, from my experience, don't reformat their posts after pasting from other sources. So you'll have a bunch of redundant paragraph tags and divs added. Having them paste as plain text would probably be the best solution.

​No it’s not. I myself use double line breaks from time to time to indicate that I start a completely different topic now. 

Or someone might just use it for fun and MAKE AN BOLD STATEMENT …

… and then say: just kidding!  :grin:
Again: I don’t want my editor to get clever and mess with what I am doing. If IPS would implement something like that, users would start complaining why the editor doesn’t respect what the user is actually creating. 

​I do that all the time!

I really do.

Again, from what I see on this community it's not users abusing whitespace, it is unwanted whitespace that is probably a result of copypasting stuff.

​So again, we circle back to: how should the editor know intended whitespace vs non-intended whitespace?

The topic @Cemmos stated is efficient to removing the copy/paste issue.

Archived