Username login

Flitterkill

I might have missed this completely but is it no longer the case that you can use just your username to log in? Not seeing anywhere to alter this on my beta install. Not sure if users want to type in (auto fill or not) a full email address every time they log in. 

EDIT: Tested fine here. Maybe this is just a beta 2 thing (errors out wanting the field to be a valid email) or I'm missing a setting somewhere.

I raised this as a bug report when one of the Betas came out, thinking that I was unable to log in. It turns out that the Betas are defaulted to allow logging-in only with an email address, but it's possible to set it to using that and the Display Name, or even only the Display Name.

System > Login Handlers > Standard (pencil icon) > edit Authentication Type

I raised this as a bug report when one of the Betas came out, thinking that I was unable to log in. It turns out that the Betas are defaulted to allow logging-in only with an email address, but it's possible to set it to using that and the Display Name, or even only the Display Name.

System > Login Handlers > Standard (pencil icon) > edit Authentication Type

This is correct

I plan on posting this as an announcement prior to upgrading my communities, warning members that usernames are going to be deprecated.

I would probably do the same, you may be surprised by how many of your members don't know/remember the e-mail they registered with. I'll probably also allow logging in via display name temporarily, but that will also eventually be deprecated for e-mail only logins.

(Of course, you can also just allow logging in via Display Name or e-mail if you personally prefer.)

Shameless plug :ph34r:

But you might find this useful: http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/6952-dno-remind-user-to-keep-email-updated/

I made it to be used as part of the process for when we switched to email only for logins ourselves. Had it enabled for some months before we switched login method. 

​Thanks, this looks like a perfect solution, I'll definitely make use of it! ^^

Archived