Should we still be using MySQL 5.1.7?

.Ian

Hi,

According to cPanel 5.1. is now well and truly EOL.

The only other option to me at this point via cPanel is 5.5 (unless installing directly)

Would you recommend an upgrade or should 5.1.7 be just fine for now?

Thanks.

MySQL 5.6 is supported in 11.42, which is in the 'current' tier.

I would encourage you to upgrade to 5.5 and then 5.6 when it's available.

Hi - thanks - yes, I noticed that on their changelog, however I run the release version (too much a coward to do otherwise LOL )

I asked my server hosts, who did not seem too bothered by 5.1.7!

Been having issues with high loads (200+), so have added a SSD for MySQL and reduced the polling on Spy to 10 secs as it only seems to hit me on Saturday afternoons - very frustrating, especially as the last 2 Saturdays I have been in the air! Mind you at least I was able to sort things thanks to free wifi in the plane!!

I have to block everyone from my site, wait for a minute for the load to reduce, unblock and then the server seems happy again for another week.

So decided to look at MySQL version as well.

May just go ahead and upgrade anyway.

Hi - thanks - yes, I noticed that on their changelog, however I run the release version (too much a coward to do otherwise LOL )

I asked my server hosts, who did not seem too bothered by 5.1.7!

Been having issues with high loads (200+), so have added a SSD for MySQL and reduced the polling on Spy to 10 secs as it only seems to hit me on Saturday afternoons - very frustrating, especially as the last 2 Saturdays I have been in the air! Mind you at least I was able to sort things thanks to free wifi in the plane!!

I have to block everyone from my site, wait for a minute for the load to reduce, unblock and then the server seems happy again for another week.

So decided to look at MySQL version as well.

May just go ahead and upgrade anyway.

You should really upgrade to 5.5 for bugfixes, security fixes etc.

It does also sound like your MySQL config hasn't even been tuned, or optimised for your server.

5.6 is supposed to bring some performance improvements.

The key thing here is EOL. IF you had problems with MySQL 5.1 and needed support, you would not have got it.

You made the right decision to upgrade. :smile:

If I were Invision, I would not be testing my forthcoming 4.0 against EOL versions of MySQL either...

We don't use mysql 5.1 here, so no worries :) however since it's still widely used and only recently EOL, yet still supported under extended Oracle support, we will likely test against it as well. I don't expect any issues however for those still using mysql 5.1.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks all :smile:

Liquidweb reckon that my issues are all based on my PHP memory limit, which I must admit I have been running at 512mb for the last year or so without any issues at all.

Strange as to why it should suddenly cause an issue without any new items added - a few upgrades, but nothing major.

So am reducing that back down to 128mb - I must admit that 512mb was probably a bit high, especially with only 16gb of RAM

My user processes always hover between 20 and 40 - so when that goes higher then so does the load.

Fingers crossed....

<snip>

So am reducing that back down to 128mb - I must admit that 512mb was probably a bit high, especially with only 16gb of RAM

My user processes always hover between 20 and 40 - so when that goes higher then so does the load.

Fingers crossed....

What operating system are you running on your server?

isn't 5.x also eol?

thats a pita, iirc no easy 5 to 6 upgrade path

Probably LOL

My issue is that I used to understand an intel 286, 286 & 486 processors but now, I have no idea!

The server is probably 2 or 3 years old and could probably do with replacing - but on say $300 a month I have no idea. I am happy with LW having had a torrid time with some other companies over the years and really need the fully managed approach.

Better the devil you know.....

• 2 weeks later...

I've never seen loads >200. How many sites are running, and how many concurrent users? I assume it's dedicated?

When your server load spikes that high, it's usually the result of I/O starvation. Or fork bombs.

It can easily happen when your server runs out of memory and resorts to swapping as an example.

Archived