Keypic

RPG-support

• 3 weeks later...

Keypic, Playthru, questions 'n answers, and KeyCAPTCHA all considered better? People still have spam with reCAPTCHA.

ratingTextUndefined

As long as real people are still prepared to create an account personally and manually, there will always be spammers....

Warm regards, Wim

I don't see how that is relevant to this discussion.

In so far that there is no way to completely stop spamming.

Any tool to help with prevention of bots to create an account is good, even if not perfect. Add a few security questions in addition to recaptcha, use a spam database or two, and there are none getting through, at least not on our site; real persons who spam still can get through however, even when using spam databases. We also have a few other security measures in place, at server level.

When we started using spam tools, we had on average about 200 spambots trying to create accounts on a daily basis; it went in 1 week from about 10-20 to about 200-300, that was about 3 years ago now. With recaptcha, security questions and a spam database, we now only get about 1 spammer every fortnight getting through, and always a real person going through the process. I doubt there are less bots trying to get at us. At the end of March, beginning of April, we registered 8000 attempts in a single hour. Haven't actually measured since, as it is clear attacks have gotten less, generally, after the upgrade to 3.4.4, and adding a few extra security measures at server level.

Warm regards, Wim

Nobody in this thread suggested that these sort of stuff previously mentioned stopped all forms of spam from all sources. And I greatly disagree any tool is good. If it doesn't work or hasn't been updated to then it's bad.

:D

I never said that any tool is good. You will always need a combination of tools.

Regards, Wim

Archived