Handling of Attachment Images

Rimi

This really needs to be improved. In previous versions if someone added an attached image into their post then when you quoted it the attached image would not display, instead the attachment file name would show up. Now in 3.4 it looks like attachments are just getting stripped out of the quote completely.

Why?

I think that if someone has permission to download an attachment then they should be able to repost that attachment in a quote as well. It's very disruptive in regular threads. And if IPS is actually planning to improve attachment handling and allow attachments in the fast reply in 4.0 or even inline image uploading via ckeditor or even disallowing remote images and forcing all posted images to be uploaded to the forum's server first via ckeditor then this behavior really isn't going to work out anymore. I don't even think there needs to be a setting for this. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want an attached image to display in a quote especially if the quoter has permission to download that image anyway. They shouldn't have to download and reupload just to get the image to display.

I guess overall I just think attachments are handled in an overly secure manner. I can understand why this is the case for something like attached pdfs, but images really doesn't need to be like this. I hope though that you just do inline image uploading via ckeditor and just disregard image attachments completely.

Lol, we just cross posted. I was saying in my other topic that the "Image" button on the toolbar (the one further right from bold, italic, underline, etc.) should allow users to upload an image - rather than prompt them just for a URL.

The fact that we came up with the same thread idea at exactly the same time means that it's a good idea right?

This really needs to be improved. In previous versions if someone added an attached image into their post then when you quoted it the attached image would not display, instead the attachment file name would show up. Now in 3.4 it looks like attachments are just getting stripped out of the quote completely.

Why?

I think that if someone has permission to download an attachment then they should be able to repost that attachment in a quote as well. It's very disruptive in regular threads. And if IPS is actually planning to improve attachment handling and allow attachments in the fast reply in 4.0 or even inline image uploading via ckeditor or even disallowing remote images and forcing all posted images to be uploaded to the forum's server first via ckeditor then this behavior really isn't going to work out anymore. I don't even think there needs to be a setting for this. I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't want an attached image to display in a quote especially if the quoter has permission to download that image anyway. They shouldn't have to download and reupload just to get the image to display.

I guess overall I just think attachments are handled in an overly secure manner. I can understand why this is the case for something like attached pdfs, but images really doesn't need to be like this. I hope though that you just do inline image uploading via ckeditor and just disregard image attachments completely.

and a post with 20 or so images should be holding them in quotes *why*?

You do realize how inane that would get, right?

and a post with 20 or so images should be holding them in quotes *why*?

You do realize how inane that would get, right?

That would never happen because the default number of images per post that IPB allows is 10. :smile: If you decide to allow more than that then that's on you.

Really? Never say never. :smile: It did, in the post you quote, and i have seen many sites where this would not only occur, but the behavior you appear to seek would be beyond annoying.

At very minimum, a setting is required, and should default off.

Semantics.

It happens so infrequently that it really isn't as big as a nuisance as you're painting it out as. You just attached 10 images in a post. How often have you done that before in a regular topic?

I suppose a setting isn't entirely out of the question. However, I think the better alternative to all of this is removing image attachments entirely and replacing it with inline image uploading via ckeditor.

However, I think the better alternative to all of this is removing image attachments entirely and replacing it with inline image uploading via ckeditor.

Still Semantics, *but*...

No, just *No*.

CKE defaults would allow only images, and any type of image of any size to be uploaded, 0 control.

http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/guides.html/_/advanced-and-developers/application/application-extension-attachments-r54

Integration of the attachments class INTO the cke, would preserve space allowances, permissions, and such.

What you suggest would basically allow free user reign with 0 admin control.

Still Semantics, *but*...

No, just *No*.

CKE defaults would allow *any* file to be uploaded, 0 control.

http://community.invisionpower.com/resources/guides.html/_/advanced-and-developers/application/application-extension-attachments-r54

Integration of the attachments class INTO the cke, would preserve space allowances, permissions, and such.

Semantics. Naturally I would expect that IPS would restrict to it to images.

Archived