New Content > Content Type > All

Lase

User clicks on 'New Content'.

It's great that listed are all the apps they can seperate things out from eg. Forum, Blog, Calander, Gallery.

Would be great if there was an 'All' listed so the user could have literally all the new content displayed in much the same format as it does for specific content channels.

Most users will never click on the various content types and therefore ignore it.

As a matter of fact I'd ignored it. All of a sudden I go to blog and see a couple of members have been pretty active. Even as a precautionary measure I should have been aware of stuff on there.

Marcher - I had assumed this would be a really complicated improvement yeah. Probably why it ha'nt been done yet.

It's got to head this way..

would require a complete rewrite of VNC from scratch(not disagreeing, I agree with this, simply explaining technicalities)

That "All" Page would have to load up every single application's viewNewContent for the relevant driver, and then somehow paginate and merge the result sets from them all.

2 apps in market place have a good go at this already - content spy and super news feed

both with out looking too deep, basically seem to record any new posts/actions into a separate table and then get all the info from that
providing a all in one page that is close to vnc

plus another possible method could be if the invision sphinx search feature was expanded so it takes advantage of the now available multi-index and instant indexing features, then couldn't that be used and also have the bonus of providing a complete all in one site wideseach as well

it can be done imo but seems as far as am aware that invision has no in the near future plans to do such

2 apps in market place have a good go at this already - content spy and super news feed

both with out looking too deep, basically seem to record any new posts/actions into a separate table and then get all the info from that

providing a all in one page that is close to vnc

plus another possible method could be if the invision sphinx search feature was expanded so it takes advantage of the now available multi-index and instant indexing features, then couldn't that be used and also have the bonus of providing a complete all in one site wideseach as well

it can be done imo but seems as far as am aware that invision has no in the near future plans to do such

I am aware of both, there are differences.
Filters, pagination... the actual function OF View New Content is bereft.
is doable... simply makes more sense stock(think tags, think "my content", site-wide search).
The segregation without unification of the search system itself is the issue.

We attempted something like this with 3.0.0 (prior to release) and it was a performance nightmare. Effectively, every insert into a table (posts, downloads, gallery, etc.) required an insert into another table (that would be used for searching, but could be used for other purposes - e.g. content spy type applications), and that table grew exponentially huge very quickly. The sheer size and number of records, and the difficulty maintaining it consistently across applications, created resource and functionality issues.

Searching multiple database tables and putting the results into one view just isn't feasible, due to pagination. You need a central table, or you need to use a tool like Sphinx that can search multiple indexes simultaneously.

There are a lot of technical challenges to this sort of functionality, which is why it isn't a feature ... yet.

But you are adding PUSH to your apps right? I assume that you are using XMPP for it. If thats the case, then you are already having the infrastructure. Why not take that road? Thats how facebook does it.

Archived