VPS and Memcached

I have installed on VPS - Memcached (Version 1.0.2 )

In conf_global.php schould be:

$INFO['use_memcached'] = '1';

$INFO['memcached_server_1'] = '127.0.0.1';

$INFO['memcached_port_1'] = '11211';

or

$INFO['use_memcache'] = '1';

$INFO['memcache_server_1'] = '127.0.0.1';

$INFO['memcache_port_1'] = '11211';

How to check if this setting (Memcached) works?

• Management

If you're reaching the point where you're considering memcache on a VPS, you should upgrade to a dedicated server.

VPS is great for isolation, but from our own experiences with clients, they're terrible for performance.

would like some direction on this too.

Not sure what you mean...
If you are referring to Lindy's post, memcached is something that's often used for distributed systems. Something like xcache will often perform better under a single machine system.
However, I disagree with his post. No matter how small your system is, I believe optimization is something not to shy away from. Comparing no memcache vs memcache on a vps without any other caches, having it is clearly better.

The service that's running on the computer is called
Memory Cache, short form: memcache
But it's a daemon, a service. So the executable is called
memcached
just like how httpd, mysqld and etc are named for their daemons.

The PHP extension that IPB uses is called
memcache
Although there is a newer version called
memcached
If you installed the memcached php extension, I don't think IPB will work. The syntax for it is different. Though, I haven't tested it and IPB may have a detection code for it...
The memcached php extension is not a daemon, I have no clue why they named it like that to add to the extra confusion.

• 2 months later...

However, I disagree with his post. No matter how small your system is, I believe optimization is something not to shy away from.

I disagree with Lindy's post as well. We used to be on an unoptimised dedicated server paying £100 per month. I moved over to an unmanaged VPS, setting up nginx and few other things... it performs unbelievably faster for a fraction of the cost. Took a little learning, but I'm glad I spent the time on it.

I disagree with Lindy, too, though on a different point. I would not dismiss VPS systems as being low-performance.

World of difference in performance between a $5/mo low-end VPS and a provider like Linode. There are high-quality, high-performance VPS providers. Heck, that's what most cloud providers like Amazon are.

• 3 weeks later...

At the higher ends, though, VPSes are generally more expensive than a regular old commodity dedicated server. A busy forum is pretty memory intensive, which is where all those guys will get you :)

Archived