No More MSSQL Drivers

abney317

First of all, I'd like to say that this is a big disappointment that the MSSQL drivers for IPB aren't going to be developed anymore.
I had just heard about them for IPB 3.1 and I was waiting for IPB 3.2.. but then I saw the message in the client area saying that it's not going to be around anymore.
I wanted to integrate it was an ASP.NET application =/
oh well... :logik:
/disappointment
at least you can run PHP and MYSQL on windows servers

• Management

It wasn't an excuse it was a reason :)

We have had MSSQL drivers for many years and they have never sold well. They are selling even less as of late so we had to make a business decision to focus our efforts on what most everyone uses. Even our largest enterprise clients use MySQL without issue.

Isn't that like saying that Linux is better than Redhat Linux? :blink:

(Redhat was the first flavor that came to mind.)

SQL and MySQL use slightly different query structures and drivers, and no it's nothing like saying "Linux is better than redhat linux" because those are both linux, these are entirely different database engines

SQL and MySQL use slightly different query structures and drivers, and no it's nothing like saying "Linux is better than redhat linux" because those are both linux, these are entirely different database engines

psst, SQL stands for "structured query language", which is used by MySQL, MSSQL and postgreSQL, amongst other engines.

You were trying to say "MSSQL vs MySQL" rather than "SQL vs MySQL", which is what he was pointing out.

Carry on. :D

We have not determined that yet. One issue is, in general, third party database driver development has never really taken off, even when we were behind it, so I wouldn't expect it to be faithfully kept up (which is a necessity, for this kind of project).

IPS keeps tabs on third party updtes and development?

We have not determined that yet. One issue is, in general, third party database driver development has never really taken off, even when we were behind it, so I wouldn't expect it to be faithfully kept up (which is a necessity, for this kind of project).

Part of the problem here is that there does not appear to be documentation on what exactly is necessary for the creation of a 3rd party database driver (I looked briefly when I was contemplating moving one of my sites over to PostgreSQL to test out the performance difference between that and MySQL but gave up when there was no clear documentation on the driver creation process).

There is at least one 3rd party driver created already: http://community.invisionpower.com/files/file/3841-high-performance-mysql-driver/

Yes, and Nime built a PGSQL driver too. Nevertheless, there are challenges with drivers you don't always face with other addons (i.e. you can't change how IPB generates a query - it must be "valid" SQL, and group bys with MySQL are much more forgiving than other engines, so we often don't run into problems that you might with MSSQL, et all.).

Archived