Admin comments = not deletable

7SiN

There's multiple times where I've issued verbal warnings on profiles to let everyone know that this is not the way you should act on the site. Come to find out that the user deleted the comment. There should be an option to make it so users can't delete certain groups comments.

I believe they should be able to maintain their own pages, which means deleting comments, even from admins. What if it is a non-warning and they want to clean up their page? What if the warning has nothing to do with them, as in, it's about someone's comment on their page? They should be able to remove it.

A solution could be to add this option to the warning system. As well as PMing, you could tick a box to post on their profile page, and it would be non-deletable and a different color. Well that's just an idea.

You warned them with a comment and they saw it. Mission accomplished.

I would agree with that 100%. They could have gotten the message, and then just not wanted to leave the comment there, reflecting badly on them; they might not have known what they were doing was bad, and now don't want a permanent reminder of this on their profiles. If you're doing this, and people are deleting the comment, then repeating the negative behavior, just get tougher on them with an actual warning.

You warned them with a comment and they saw it. Mission accomplished.

Might work on your site and with how you would like things done, but by deleting my comment, that's a huge sign of disrespect and earned the user a warning increase.

How is it a sign of disrespect? I clean my profile of comments on some forums now and then or after new ones, nothing to do with trying to disrespect someone.

Again, you obviously lack the knowledge of the situation. Deleting just my comment = disrespect. I'm sure you don't just delete 1 comment and leave the rest when "cleaning". :rolleyes:

Again, you obviously lack the knowledge of the situation. Deleting just my comment = disrespect. I'm sure you don't just delete 1 comment and leave the rest when "cleaning". :rolleyes:

I don't want warnings on my profile comments for everyone to see so I would delete your comment aswell. It has nothing to do with my respect for you.
I think it shows more that you have no respect for me when warning me in public. Perhaps send warnings via PM instead?

Isn't it more disrespectful of you to publicly scold the user when you can achieve the same effect in a private PM?

You guys have no ######ing clue what you are talking about or the situation at hand. He was mocking me, my site and my staff in public. I told him I wouldn't stand for that so everyone could see it. He deleted it, thus he got suspended.

Thank you for all you stupid comments, I'd rather listen to ones that actually know of the whole situation rather than speculating what has happened or what they would do on their puny lil sites. Thanks.

The only disrespect I see, is you publicly commenting on a user... All disclipline based things should be private.. other wise you are being disrespectful to your members...
Your users have the right to remove what ever they please from their profiles, just because you got butt hurt over them not wanting to be publicly shamed by you doesn't mean they are being disrespectful

You guys have no ######ing clue what you are talking about or the situation at hand. He was mocking me, my site and my staff in public. I told him I wouldn't stand for that so everyone could see it. He deleted it, thus he got suspended.

Thank you for all you stupid comments, I'd rather listen to ones that actually know of the whole situation rather than speculating what has happened or what they would do on their puny lil sites. Thanks.

Again, all your doing is throwing a tantrum here to, so please take it else where

Knowing the whole situation doesn't change my opinion on the matter. You wanted to publicly shame the member, he removed that, you then suspended him. You've just got a simple member management issue on your site which you have the necessary tools to deal with, and you used them.

What you're requested is the ability to leave comments on peoples' profiles that they can't remove, that's not likely to be implemented. The profile page for a member should be theirs to display what they want. IN the opinion of myself, and most here in this topic, being able to leave a "you are a bad person!" comment on someone's page that they cannot remove is a very rude thing to do. Dealing with problem members is something that should be done in private, otherwise you're just going to escalate the situation, which sounds like is exactly what happened.

IP.Board gives you tools to deal with problem members. They can be made to agree to certain rules as part of registration, you can issue them warnings for disobeying those, and you can suspend/ban them if they show a pattern of behavior of being someone who will never follow the rules. If you use those, there should be no need to need some undeletable public shaming message on that person's profile.

I think what you actually meant to say is "I'd rather listen to people who agree with me".

We didn't comment on your specific case so we don't need to know the whole situation.
In fact, we commented on the matter in a very general way.

• You suggested that admin comments should not be deletable
  • You presented a situation as to WHY they shouldn't be deletable
    E.g. when the admin want to warn a member on their profile page
  • We commented and said that things like that should be dealt with in private with the user
  • You presented no more arguments

So thank you for your suggestion but I'd rather listen to suggestions that actually makes sense rather than ones that are based upon power-crazy admins who wants features that will help them abuse their powers even more. Thanks.

What Michael said here says it all.

IP.Board gives you tools to deal with problem members. They can be made to agree to certain rules as part of registration, you can issue them warnings for disobeying those, and you can suspend/ban them if they show a pattern of behavior of being someone who will never follow the rules.

The feature suggestion was made and the developers will see it and decide if it should be included or not. If you want a guarantee that this feature will be available to you, please make a request in the modifications forums. I believe this topic has served its purpose and the conversation appears to be going downhill, so I'll go ahead and close it now.

Archived