Moderator Tool; Insert post after/before

Tanax

I would love to see the feature of being able to insert a post after or before another post in a topic.
I often find that I want to be able to insert a secondary post after the firstpost in order to complement with additional information. This is obviously only present when I'm the author of the topic. This could be any number of things but for instance when writing guides and alike.

This feature should IMO be per group and/or per forum. I'd actually be willing to permit this feature to regular member but only being able to insert posts after the first post and only in their own topics and perhaps even restrict this to only a certain part of the forum such as "Guides".

I know this has been proposed before, I'm just not sure what those suggestions resulted in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I think this is fluff and is difficult to implement as I'm pretty sure that it orders post by time posted so it would innately be smudging a fine line in the core files which I'm not sure I'm shiny with. I can also see this being exploited somehow by spammers.

Why not just order posts by the #1, #2, #3, etc? Wouldn't that be easier? And only the topic starter will be able to insert posts and only insert posts after the FIRST post since that could be important for different tutorials, guides, etc. Inserting posts wherever in the topic would break the conversation-flow so I'm totally against that!

That's not how the server determines it's sorting options. When you setup a forum you are given a few choices with ascending and descending options but this is just for the topic list. Once you get into the post you are looking at it lists them in the order of posting. I think you may have been able to do this when threading was available but it really doesn't make sense to add an option to add a post beneath the first post. Why not edit the first post?

That's not how the server determines it's sorting options. When you setup a forum you are given a few choices with ascending and descending options but this is just for the topic list. Once you get into the post you are looking at it lists them in the order of posting. I think you may have been able to do this when threading was available but it really doesn't make sense to add an option to add a post beneath the first post. Why not edit the first post?

Because you can't have too many images in 1 post for example. There's a character limit aswell. And it will be easier to link to if you are able to divide the tutorial(or whatever, it really has multiple uses) into several posts/sections.

Not everything can be solved by just "increasing" the limit. I don't want to allow everyone to be able to include 50 images per post. And I don't want to create a separate usergroup for it either.

Either you are not understanding what I'm proposing or you're surprisingly unwilling to see new features in IPB that will help a lot of tutorial and web/game-oriented communities.

• 3 months later...

BUMP.
I think this is a vital feature for many communities.

I should perhaps have written a better topic title. After thinking it through, this should only be possible AFTER first-post and never after any other post nor before any other post.

Think of it as "first-post footnotes".

BUMP.

I think this is a vital feature for many communities.

I should perhaps have written a better topic title. After thinking it through, this should only be possible AFTER first-post and never after any other post nor before any other post.

Think of it as "first-post footnotes".

Alternatively OP can have a little foresight and make extra posts from the beginning or even make a new thread.

Alternatively OP can have a little foresight and make extra posts from the beginning or even make a new thread.

Yes, that is what we're currently forced to do but there are some problems with this.
1. He can't possibly know how many extra posts he will need in the time of topic-creation. He might have a guess but can't really know for sure.
2. It's very ugly to have several empty posts like a "spaceholder" in the beginning of the topic.

Yes, that is what we're currently forced to do but there are some problems with this.

1. He can't possibly know how many extra posts he will need in the time of topic-creation. He might have a guess but can't really know for sure.

2. It's very ugly to have several empty posts like a "spaceholder" in the beginning of the topic.

1. So make a new topic when the need arises.
2. I don't think it's ugly at all and in fact I believe most people would be very understanding. What's ugly is when forum owners stick in a little ad after the first post IMO. ;)

Archived