Spammers

Tom_F

Firstly let me say the spam monitoring is fantastic as is the ability to flag users as spammers.

But how about the option that when a user is flagged as a spammer it then automatically chucks users posts into the recycle bin as well? It means a one click solution to clearing up the mess that usually otherwise means going into the adminCP, finding user, deleting all posts.

This came up the other day - I think the response was that deleting them is resource hungry, but perhaps using the soft delete might be an option.

Soft deleting them would be my preferred option over just unapproving them.

• Management

Ian is correct. Deleting posts is an expensive business. It's "ok" if you're talking about less than a hundred which is "ok" in most cases but sooner or later the bug reports will roll in. I can add an option in to soft delete, though. You can then use the drop down in forum view to clear them out.

Ian is correct. Deleting posts is an expensive business. It's "ok" if you're talking about less than a hundred which is "ok" in most cases but sooner or later the bug reports will roll in. I can add an option in to soft delete, though. You can then use the drop down in forum view to clear them out.

Good stuff. In most cases on our boards a spammer will only do a couple of posts at worst 10-20 before they leave or get banned.

Soft Delete will certainly be useful :)

Yeah, in 99.9% of cases a spammer will have less than 100 posts and it'll be fine. But we would still get those bug reports from the .000001% of users who have a shared server with 10MB of memory in the box trying to delete a spammer who's been having his way with the site for 2 years.

• Management

In a future update we'll add a flag to posts and topics to say it's been deleted and then remove them with a regular task. We're fairly reluctant to change the post table as those with millions of posts will have to wait a while while MySQL completes the table updates.

Archived