Tabs at the top / navigation

.Ian

Hi,

With the increasing number of apps both from IPS and third parties the number of tabs at the top is increasing rapidly. IP.Commerce will add another tab for example.

Whilst this is not an issue (at the moment) for wide screens anyone working with a lower resolution is risking the tabs scrolling (especially with the wider search box) even on the default skin.

I am wondering if IPS could look at a variation on the current system, so that sites can add further tabs.

One site that has similar navigation is the BBC site - http://news.bbc.co.uk - at the top, you will see tabs, but there is also a more... button at the end, which when clicked shows a pop-up balloon with several more options.

Something similar would assist the navigation.

Perhaps the admin could have an option on each tab setting to either show the link in the main area or in the balloon.

Just a thought :)

What about a Parent / Child two level navigation bar?

You could define in the ACP which ones are parent (PRIMARY tabs at the top) and which ones are their children (secondary tabs underneath)?

For example, you could have Forums as a primary tab, with Blogs - Calendar - Gallery - Chat as the child navigation links.

Just a thought ... :D

Hi,

With the increasing number of apps both from IPS and third parties the number of tabs at the top is increasing rapidly. IP.Commerce will add another tab for example.

Whilst this is not an issue (at the moment) for wide screens anyone working with a lower resolution is risking the tabs scrolling (especially with the wider search box) even on the default skin.

This is already an issue for me. I had to take Content out of the app bar because it was causing the Subscriptions link to wrap onto the next line and thus fall out of the nav bar (on the default skin), making it look silly hanging out all alone down there in the next line with a soft blue color against a white background (made it difficult to see, especially if you moused over it and the link changed to an even lighter color). It still does it if I make my screen smaller, even with content removed. It's a cosmetic issue that shouldn't be there. :(

Archived