Where could "reputation system" go?

ikillbill

We are on 3.0.5 and wondering how reputation system could not used better?

*add reputation button is so small that people could easily forget
*total repuation is rated less important than location without showing up topic view by default
*lack of integration with ranking system
members are asking, what if we get high repuation, where we could go? go higher rank with better forum permissions? download more files?

reputation is so lack of integrations that could help increase and "stilumate" forum activities

As IPS always say they aim on general usages, why reputation is developed so specific like a dead end

YES, all of above could be done by module /hook found easily. However no one will dislike those modules functions are done by official

NO to some people, those modules are too specific, IPS needs to save some energy on bigger goal. is it??? THIS
[url="
is one of module does

has IPS possibily examined how many percentage of people here at "IPS official forum" really use/give reputations??

We are on 3.0.5 and wondering how reputation system could not used better?

*total repuation is rated less important than location without showing up topic view by default

members are asking, what if we get high repuation, where we could go? go higher rank with better forum permissions? download more files?

reputation is so lack of integrations that could help increase and "stilumate" forum activities

As IPS always say they aim on general usages, why reputation is developed so specific like a dead end

YES, all of above could be done by module /hook found easily. However no one will dislike those modules functions are done by official

NO to some people, those modules are too specific, IPS needs to save some energy on bigger goal. is it??? THIS

[url="

is one of module does

has IPS possibily examined how many percentage of people here at "IPS official forum" really use/give reputations??

What do you mean by "integrations" I'm not clear as to what that is implied to? Are you talking to modifications and things? I think that would be something more to talk to the mod author about.

Reputation as a whole is a big debatable can of worms. I know you can turn it off but there are a lot of people that consider reputation as bloatware so please don't get me wrong on my opinions about this. Reputation is one of those, "cool" features to me. While it's cool to have it I don't really care either way.

If it were any bigger it would be a button the size of Alaska. I prefer the size, if you want your users to see it better then perhaps you should point it out in an update.

This is debatable. I think this is easily added in with a template edit but I do see the point. The BIGGEST problem with this is that this also has the potential to promote mass negative or positive reputation to a particular user via how much reputation they have. Is an easy target system if you ask me.

I kind of like this idea. Kind of in the way that I wouldn't mind a premature promotion of "post usergroups" for a member of genuinely high reputation but the previous comment applies. If enough people want it, it can be abused by all means.

I like the reputation system but I really wouldn't want so much control over my board relying on it. I know the moment I start getting problems with it... I'm turning it OFF!

Any bigger would be distracting, and it's already far more obvious than vB's reputation button is.

There's already a hook for this if you want to show reputation on posts. I really don't think it should be a default feature.

Then people will have even more reason to abuse the system.

Then people will have even more reason to abuse the system.

But it would also have a meaning and usability. Right now, it only serves as a "I liked this post", but you can't really do anything with it. They are introducing some nice improvements in 3.1 with the ability to see who gave reputation and what type of rep(neg. vs pos.), but you can still not really do anything with it.

I think it would be quite nice to be able to set forums where a certain amount of reputation is required to either 1) see, 2) read topics and 3) create topic/post. Aswell as permissions for the other IPS apps such as downloads, blogs, etc.

I vehemently dislike posting access based on reputation. That can be so abused it's unbelievable.

Here's how it would work:
Person 1 Just joined your forum but Person 2, 3 and 4 are Person 1's friend. THEY know that if they give Person 1 50 rep points then they will get access to this awesome post ability in an otherwise restricted forum. Within a few posts Person 1 has access to the section regardless of if their 'genuine' reputation.

I KNOW I can turn off this feature but I'd like to keep it about as long as it doesn't cause problems. Rewarding someone for being a good poster by showing them via reputation is one thing. Exploiting a system of numbers to give people access to things is completely another.

I vehemently dislike posting access based on reputation. That can be so abused it's unbelievable.

Here's how it would work:

Person 1 Just joined your forum but Person 2, 3 and 4 are Person 1's friend. THEY know that if they give Person 1 50 rep points then they will get access to this awesome post ability in an otherwise restricted forum. Within a few posts Person 1 has access to the section regardless of if their 'genuine' reputation.

I KNOW I can turn off this feature but I'd like to keep it about as long as it doesn't cause problems. Rewarding someone for being a good poster by showing them via reputation is one thing. Exploiting a system of numbers to give people access to things is completely another.

And it can't be abused in the current state? Haha. User 1's friends User 2, 3, 4 & 5 can give reputation to User 1's posts and so fooling the community to think that he's a trustworthy and good poster.

Should you remove the feature of having certain amount of posts act as limiter aswell? It can be abused aswell. User 1 can spam the forum and get access to a certain area without having genuine posts. They can be deleted tho, but reputation can be removed aswell. Saying that it can be abused is a lame excuse. Everything can be abused. You just need to implement it in the correct way - that is the key. Set a limit of how many reputation points someone can give per day, and implement a feature to allow admin to set a number of reputation points that needs to be spread before giving to the same member again.

Well anything can be abused but I think that the more readily abusable thing is the reputation system. It's already fantastic enough that if enough rep hits a post that you can highlight it and make it more noticeable or hide it if it's negative enough. But to add insult to injury that you want to give them permissions based off of this?

Does this system remove a member if their rep suddenly plummets?

It seems like a waste of code. "I can upgrade someone if they have a lot of posts AND I can do it if people suddenly really like their posts!" Why don't you reward those people with something like a "Member of the Month" award or something? Obviously if they are rock awesome they deserve that more then they deserve a forum.

the reputation is a waste of space

do you want to dumb down your forum to it's lowest common denominator

85% of posters might not like the best post ever - so what (like the earth going around the sun thread a few thousand years ago)

let people express their feelings in the forum through their posts (like in a forum)

unless you were "queen of the prom" in high school, populatary contests are uber-lame

if you have to have any sort of post rating a "1 vote for post of the month" might be OK No negative But even that should be avoided

I intend to have a forum on my site and it "Will-Not" have a reputation feature

I must say that I Really like IP-V3 (except for losing member number)

my web host offers a free forum - but I think I would like to just put all my energy into getting the best forum going and I truly think IP has it hands down

Archived