Ajax quick reply

Razasharp

I've been hanging around here the last few days and went back to one of my boards last night. And I just thought how much snappier and 'alive' the board felt compared to this one. There are a number of reasons and I'll post them as and when I get time (/become a licensed customer). First one tho is lack of ajax quick reply.

Is this due to get added in 3.1? If not I hope the devs seriously consider it :)

(I know there's a plugin for it, but 3rd party hacks are not the same - some of us don't like using hacks, plus the feature is too important not to be a std feature imo).

Whilst on the topic of ajax - I noticed it could be used in an number of additional places around here - such as in the gallery 'set this pic as avatar' etc People/users love ajax, especially when you have some pages using it on a site already.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And I just thought how much snappier and 'alive' the board felt compared to this one. There are a number of reasons and I'll post them as and when I get time (/become a licensed customer).

Just noticed another - no who's viewing each forum section on the forum homepage. It's another thing that makes the board 'feel alive' :) (not all that bothered by this one - but just mentioning it as all these little things add-up)

We don't have any immediate plans to include AJAX Quick Reply, certainly not in 3.1 anyway.

That's a shame. has it been discussed at all? Do you think it's a good idea yourself? Are you likely to campaign to get it included?

Also, how about the who's viewing the forum on f homepage - I've thought about it and actually think it's fairly important, any chance of that being discussed previously/likely to be included?

I'm at a loss here. What is AJAX Quick Reply?

As for AJAX'ing the site up, keep in mind that AJAX uses resources. It uses resources to load up per page (it has to be included after all) and when it's actually used. Not too much of a big deal when it's a small board, but on a busy board it can become a problem. Also you don't want to go crazy with it because then otherwise it destroys the point of it.

That's a shame. has it been discussed at all? Do you think it's a good idea yourself? Are you likely to campaign to get it included?

It's been discussed quite a few times, but we've so far decided against including it. It's not a feature that I am personally interested in adding, it feels like a superfluous use of AJAX to me. I tend to think there are more interesting features that we can spend our development time on, but certainly that does not mean that we won't be including it at some point.

Also, how about the who's viewing the forum on f homepage - I've thought about it and actually think it's fairly important, any chance of that being discussed previously/likely to be included?

This has also been discussed, I don't think anyone is particularly opposed to the idea, it just hasn't been a high priority. I don't really know what the odds of it being included are at this point, we'll be better able to answer those questions after 3.1.0 is done.

What I've done to improve the ability to do a fast reply is add a fast reply button next to the add reply button. This is linked to some javascript that scrolls the page to the bottom.

I agree that something needs to be done to make doing fast replies easier.

3DKiwi

Ok. You and whole IPS may not be interested to add it... but us, WHO PAID FOR IT, wants to use it! Serious, I can't understand why IPS simply doesn't listen to ALL users who want.

1 user want ? 2 ? 10 ? 100 ? Why IPS should go against ?!? I think it's this decision that's not up to IPS decide anyway!

You are assuming that everyone is asking for this feature. I still don't know how it differs from the current quick-reply. If it were explained, perhaps others would be onboard for asking it to be included. The more people who want a particular feature, the greater chances it has for being included. Keep in mind that it still comes down to develop time, if IPS feels that it's truly a feature that would benefit more people -vs- another feature, also if it's a good feature -vs- just fluff, professional -vs- (any number of other words here).

You are assuming that everyone is asking for this feature. I still don't know how it differs from the current quick-reply. If it were explained, perhaps others would be onboard for asking it to be included. The more people who want a particular feature, the greater chances it has for being included. Keep in mind that it still comes down to develop time, if IPS feels that it's truly a feature that would benefit more people -vs- another feature, also if it's a good feature -vs- just fluff, professional -vs- (any number of other words here).

Ok. You and whole IPS may not be interested to add it... but us, WHO PAID FOR IT, wants to use it! Serious, I can't understand why IPS simply doesn't listen to ALL users who want.

1 user want ? 2 ? 10 ? 100 ? Why IPS should go against ?!? I think it's this decision that's not up to IPS decide anyway!

I want large pictures of cake all over my forum. Im a paying customer.
It doesnt work that way, sadly. IPS only adds new features if there is a large benefit to a majority of customers.

You are assuming that everyone is asking for this feature. I still don't know how it differs from the current quick-reply.

With the current fast reply you have to manually scroll to the bottom of the page. I assume an Ajax Fast Reply would have a button under each reply and rather than scrolling you would enter your reply there just like sending a quick pm now by clicking on the mini profile button.

I have seen other topics where members have complained about how the way replying works. A few of us like me got sick of members excessively using quote reply to make a fast reply and have made changes to how things work.

3DKiwi

Tastes great, less filling. Meh. It is a very nice usability feature. Not sure why people get in such a huff "for" or "against" it.

Actually, I can't really see any sense at all in arguing against what would be one of the most common used features by members on a site. Then again I don't think its the magic bullet to making a site seem "alive" either.

That mod is actually really nice! Esp the way it highlights posts made while you were typing. The only concern I had about it tho is it seems slow - and I'd really need to use it to see how that would (imo) affect user stickyness.

Josh - thanks for the reply, not what I wanted to hear but thanks for the reply nonetheless. I would like to add that I don't see why it would take up too much time to code - I'm sure I've seen you use it somewhere else (or at least something similar) already.

Re who's viewing each forum - I hope that gets included.

Tastes great, less filling. Meh. It is a very nice usability feature. Not sure why people get in such a huff "for" or "against" it.

I'm not in a huff. I just don't think it'd be that great of a feature to include. Not for or against it. If it gets included, then it's there and I'd probably use it (I would hope it can be disabled to use the current quick reply method). If not then oh well.

Josh - thanks for the reply, not what I wanted to hear but thanks for the reply nonetheless. I would like to add that I don't see why it would take up too much time to code - I'm sure I've seen you use it somewhere else (or at least something similar) already.

These type of features tend to take longer to implement than it might seem like. That being said, it's not necessarily the length of time to create the feature, it's more about what else we could do with that time. We generally start with a prioritized list of features that we want to include and a time frame to include, working on ajax fast reply might bump a feature that we think is more important to a later release. There's also no reason to think that it will never be included, certainly if there is enough demand for it, then it will be bumped up the list of features that we want to add.

It's been discussed quite a few times, but we've so far decided against including it. It's not a feature that I am personally interested in adding, it feels like a superfluous use of AJAX to me. I tend to think there are more interesting features that we can spend our development time on, but certainly that does not mean that we won't be including it at some point.

This has also been discussed, I don't think anyone is particularly opposed to the idea, it just hasn't been a high priority. I don't really know what the odds of it being included are at this point, we'll be better able to answer those questions after 3.1.0 is done.

Thanks again for the reply Josh.

We'll have to agree to disagree on whether it's superfluous or not. In many cases the less page loads the better, imo. Especially on adding replies and comments. It's not about it being a vBulletin feature or not - it's what people who use forums and a whole host of other sites (not least people who use my own sites) will be used to. I hope you guys reconsider this one.

Have you got a list of features you are currently considering? I kinda feel out the loop being new here - and I don't want to miss having my say on things (if I become an IPB user).

Thanks again for the reply Josh.

We'll have to agree to disagree on whether it's superfluous or not. In many cases the less page loads the better, imo. Especially on adding replies and comments. It's not about it being a vBulletin feature or not - it's what people who use forums and a whole host of other sites (not least people who use my own sites) will be used to. I hope you guys reconsider this one.

Have you got a list of features you are currently considering? I kinda feel out the loop being new here - and I don't want to miss having my say on things (if I become an IPB user).

These type of features tend to take longer to implement than it might seem like. That being said, it's not necessarily the length of time to create the feature, it's more about what else we could do with that time. We generally start with a prioritized list of features that we want to include and a time frame to include, working on ajax fast reply might bump a feature that we think is more important to a later release. There's also no reason to think that it will never be included, certainly if there is enough demand for it, then it will be bumped up the list of features that we want to add.

Just because we're on the topic of discussing priorities. How come it takes an entire team of bulletin board developers to develop their own "ajax reply", at least, that's what I get from reading your post. I don't see how ONE person, whether it be an official affilate developer, or one of the ips staff simply create it while you guys continue on whatever else it is you have planned.

There's also the term "multitask". I am very good at it, and can develop applications while offering xbox 360 and pc technical support at the same time.

Just because we're on the topic of discussing priorities. How come it takes an entire team of bulletin board developers to develop their own "ajax reply", at least, that's what I get from reading your post. I don't see how ONE person, whether it be an official affilate developer, or one of the ips staff simply create it while you guys continue on whatever else it is you have planned.

That would be a disaster and a mess to have 10 different people all working on different things.

It would be like having a huge essay to write and splitting it between 5 people, then the day its due, combining it all together and hoping it flows well and makes sense.

The devs have to know what each other is doing and integrate their code smoothly together so it all flows nicely and works perfectly.

One person can do it. Thats called a mod. And one already exists for this. :whistle:

Archived