Custom Profile Fields Organization

Ocean West

after hitting my head against this feature it turns out that it not fully baked.

You can create custom profile fields - Great!

You can create custom groups for these fields - Super!

When you look at a users profile this group is displayed - Perfect!

When you are user editing your profile - is far from perfect, there is NO concept of your custom GROUP! instead fields are sorted if it is 'REQUIRED' or 'OTHER'

So your carefully thought out fields organized in groups have ZERO organization for the user filling in the fields - its just a pool of fields with really no organization.

Also one MAJOR oversight is the missing CHECKBOX for field options, this is severely needed!!!!!

[quote name='Stephen D' date='20 November 2009 - 08:22 PM' timestamp='1258766522' post='1881133']
after hitting my head against this feature it turns out that it not fully baked.

You can create custom profile fields - Great!

You can create custom groups for these fields - Super!

When you look at a users profile this group is displayed - Perfect!

When you are user editing your profile - is far from perfect, there is NO concept of your custom GROUP! instead fields are sorted if it is 'REQUIRED' or 'OTHER'

So your carefully thought out fields organized in groups have ZERO organization for the user filling in the fields - its just a pool of fields with really no organization.

I *believe* there's a bug report open about this, but I'm not positive. It would be set "awaiting feedback" or "flagged for future version" if so.

[quote name='Stephen D' date='20 November 2009 - 08:22 PM' timestamp='1258766522' post='1881133']
Also one MAJOR oversight is the missing CHECKBOX for field options, this is severely needed!!!!!

You can accomplish the same thing using a multi-select.

Yes, checkboxes would be awesome, but I can try this for now:

[quote name='bfarber' date='23 November 2009 - 09:05 AM' timestamp='1258988745' post='1881748']
You can accomplish the same thing using a multi-select.

Where do find that option? In my Add Custom Profile Field > Field settings, I only see drop down, radio, text input and text area.

If there is a custom profile group, but the user has no fields set in that group, will 3.1.0 realise this, and NOT show that group as 'empty' in a user profile, like it does in 3.0.4?

Also will 3.1.0 allow custom profile groups and all the settings to EXPORTED and IMPORTED in AdminCP (perhaps when IN_DEV = 1). That would be very useful. The features now to read/write custom profile fields by referring to them by name rather than number mean that they (custom profile fields) are now as much a part of mods as skins, hooks, languages, etc. , yet they cannot be exported and made part of an installation (in any way I can find).

• 5 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Still can't get this to work.

Checkbox will not SAVE or store any data

Why are checkboxes Vertical and Radio buttons horizontal?

And on the profile page the fields are NOT grouped by the CUSTOM GROUP, when one of them is set to be REQUIRED.

• 1 month later...

Archived