Upgrading to a VPS hosting... a little help and info please!

Hi everybody!

I'm upgrading to a VPS hosting and would like to know some info about VPS hosting that I don't know...

I'll install 10 IPB forums with some add-ons aproximately...

The busiest board I have in this moments is a 100.000 messages and 15.000 users with 50-100 simultaneously, the others are starting so the databases and traffic are small at this moment...

I've seen RAM guaranteed and RAM burstable, which is the difference and in which of both is most important ?

Another thing I have seen is the given Private IP Adresses... what advantage has an IP Address ??? what does this mean is it speed way, is this better for the google spiders ???

If the reccommended memory for a correct IPB working is 100 Mb. RAM, would I need 1Gb RAM for working 10 forums ??? or this doesn't work like this ???

I don't want your hosting name, I only need to know the info I'm asking for knowing what I must see for comparing my future hosting... :thumbsup:

Thanks in advance for your help

Guaranteed is the mimimum memory that you will always have. Then there is a 'pool' of burstable memory for all the VPS customers on the same server. You get as much of the burstable memory that is available if your VPS could use it. How much of the burstable memory is available depends on all the sites on the server and what they are doing. So it's important for you to be confident that the sites will run in the minimum memory.

If you have a private IP address you can be onfident that only the sites on your VPS use that address. Otherwise you will be sharing an address with other VPS customers. So there will be more delay before the request from a visitor gets through to your sites. It will depend on how many others are all trying to reach other sites on the same IP.

It's also a good idea to have your own IP in case other people have sites on the same IP that are:

attacked by DDOS scripts
are vulnerable (weak security) and start spamming. Anti-spam software tends to work on IP addresses, so you may find your mail is being rejected because somebody else on the same address has 'triggered' the IP address to be added to the worldwide anti-spam databases.

Assuming this is Linux, if you really, really tweak with the MySQL and Apache memory settings you can just about get away with running a 500 simultaneous user IP.Board in 512MB memory. Programs are always being swapped in and out of memory, so you don't necessarily need <minimum>*<the number of boards>.

Perfect! lot of thanks for your answers...

Now, I have understood the RAM in VPS and the IPs...

But...

1.- If I have 10 forums and only 4 IPs can I use 1 IP for the heavy traffic, and 3 more for each IP with no problem ?

2.- How many RAM does an IPB forum need ?

3.- I will use Linux... as you say with 512 Mb. there would be enough ??? The used RAM depends on the simultaneous users ???

Thanks alot again! :thumbsup:

If you are on linux, it should not make any difference whether you are on 1 IP or not. (not even sure if there is any difference on Windows for that matter)

Simply allocate all your sites to the 1 IP.

You can use the other 3 IP's for DNS or SSL - with IP's limited it is better to use dedicated IP's solely for DNS & SSL.

[quote name='pisaldi' date='07 November 2009 - 01:49 PM' timestamp='1257598182' post='1876716']
3.- I will use Linux... as you say with 512 Mb. there would be enough ??? The used RAM depends on the simultaneous users ???

I ask this for planning the increment possible in a few months...

And a las one...

I have seen some different Linux versions (Ubuntu, Centos...)... shich is better for IPB forums ???

[quote name='pisaldi' date='07 November 2009 - 12:49 PM' timestamp='1257598182' post='1876716']
Perfect! lot of thanks for your answers...

Now, I have understood the RAM in VPS and the IPs...

But...

1.- If I have 10 forums and only 4 IPs can I use 1 IP for the heavy traffic, and 3 more for each IP with no problem ?

2.- How many RAM does an IPB forum need ?

Thanks alot again! :thumbsup:

1. Yes you could, it's up to you.
2. Impossible to say. Like most operating systems, Linux will use as much memory as it possibly can, and keep programs in that memory for a s long as it can, to avoid needing to a) get the programs from the disk (much slower than memory) and b) swapping programs in and out of meeory to/from disk.
3. See above. The more users that are online, the more Apache processes (programs) there will be that need to be in memory to run and server pages to visitors, and the more MySQL will need to get data from disk and put it in memory to compute the results of the query to show the users the results.

One issue with VPS's is you've already shown you do not know about unix systems, this poses a issue as you'd most likely not have near the required knowledge in running a proper server.

An improperly configured VPS will quickly become a nightmare for forums that could of ran on shared hosts.

I know of boards with well over 500k posts and over 50 people per 15 minutes on some shared hosts, I know of some boards with less than that on VPS's and are extremely slow and so forth.

You do not need to have many IP's as said above, they are for dedicated IP purposes like IRC servers, game servers, SSL certs.

rct2·com , never herd of VPS's sharing IP addresses. I run some vps's.....don't believe thats used.

The IP address could of been used in the past of course....though good posts mate you've always been descriptive about these things.

Archived