no upgrade files from 3.0.3 => 3.0.4?

DaveNYC

I apologize if I've missed something painfully obvious, but there don't seem to have been any point upgrades for the last few updates, i.e. I don't see a 3.0.3 => 3.0.4 upgrade package, only the full download (which takes considerably longer to update).

[quote name='Μichael' date='21 October 2009 - 05:28 AM' timestamp='1256128086' post='1869643']
There were hundreds of changed files between 3.0.3 and 3.0.4, they did not release any upgrade pack. Just upload all of the 3.0.4 files and run the upgrade. It really shouldn't take any longer than 15 minutes to upload all of the 3.0.4 files.

No, he brings up a very good point. I'm planning on using IP.Board for my next version of my website which I'm currently working on with IP.Content. However, I'm using PHPBB3.0 on my current site and I've always found PHPBB super easy to upgrade. I download a small upgrade package and then run the update from the admin backend and it's done in just a few minutes.

Uploading 2,500 files isn't very efficient, especially when the FREE competition is able to do it faster and easier.

No, I understand exactly what he means, and it's something IPS often does as well. But when literally hundreds of files change from one version to the next, producing an upgrade pack is a waste of time. When a new version only does change a few files, then expect to see small upgrade packs again.

Seriously, how pressed are we all for time when the difference between spending 15 minutes uploading files and 5 is seen as that big of a deal?

My FTP client has an option to only upload files if they are newer than the ones on the server. This speeds up the upload.

Personally, when there is an upgrade pack here, I tend to download it AND the full distribution, then use the distribution!

Having said all that, an upgrade pack with just the changed files (however many there are Michael ;) ) is important to people who have edited the files to add mods.

If InVision are using subversion to manage their code releases (which I believe they are), I see no reason why they cannot produce an upgrade pack however many files have changed.

[quote name='rct2·com' date='21 October 2009 - 06:15 PM' timestamp='1256163320' post='1869914']
Having said all that, an upgrade pack with just the changed files (however many there are Michael ;) ) is important to people who have edited the files to add mods.
Hey, it's not my decision, I'm just repeating what always ends up as the result of these topics. And yes, that does mean that this topic does come up often, which means there is a significant portion of the users that this would benefit, but going on what I've seen with these discussions I wouldn't hold my breath on this changing anytime soon.

I don't know the specifics of your SVN setup, but I'd think it would be pretty easy to modify the script you guys use to generate file diff reports to simply copy those files from an up-to-date working copy. An upgrade package will automatically be built for you at the same time you generate the file diff reports. I do this at work, but my SVN setup is pretty basic.

IPS Staff has also said that an upgrade pack will make the Version Checker tool go bananas, since the unaffected files still have the old version number in it.

I don't know how many users actually use it, but the way I see it, it is a great tool to ensure that all files you have is the most recent, in case you encounter issues that should have been fixed.

Sorry Michael, it wasn't intended to be personal. [me]fails to find olive branch :pax: smilie[/me]

@Brandon D; I seem to remember in the past that upgrade announcements often did specify exactly what files were changed.

Found one: http://community.invisionpower.com/topic/277604-ip-board-2-3-6-released/page__view__findpost__p__1760424

Archived