Terms of Use

Kfir

[quote name='Reitaksvk' date='16 September 2009 - 01:50 PM' timestamp='1253123435' post='1856564']
on his forum

What does that mean? Are you talking about the registration terms people agree to on his forum? Or the license agreement he agreed to when he bought his forum?

I'm really not sure what you're looking for.

Our forum guidelines: http://forums.invisionpower.com/index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=boardrules
Standards of service: http://www.invisionpower.com/company/standards.php
Privacy policy: http://www.invisionpower.com/legal/privacy.php

[quote name='Kfir' date='16 September 2009 - 03:35 PM' timestamp='1253129736' post='1856588']there should also be the Terms of Use link (the terms you agreed to on registration).
I have commented on this before. It would be nice if IP.Board had provisions for both a "Terms of Use" page and a "Privacy Policy" page — especially for those of us who have nothing else on our sites but IP.Board.

Perhaps the links could work exactly the same as they do for "Forum Rules":

index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=terms
index.php?app=forums&module=extras&section=privacy

[quote name='Purple Turnip' date='16 September 2009 - 09:43 PM' timestamp='1253133794' post='1856601']
You can just sign out, and click Register. Simple.

The point is not to search for them. My point is to have a link to them (maybe at the bottom of the page)

I can't speak for Kfir, as he/she may have a different purpose in mind, but I can tell you that most advertisers will not approve your site if you do not have a stated "Privacy Policy."

I was going to use CCS to throw together "Terms of Service" and "Privacy Policy" pages... but now I'm thinking I'd rather create a mod that adds a couple of 'app=forums&module=extras&section=' links (to somewhere on the bottom of the page) as I stated above.

It would be better, however, if this was already built in to IP.Board.

[quote name='Μichael' date='16 September 2009 - 06:30 PM' timestamp='1253140257' post='1856648']
Just use the Help system, or an announcement, to create an article for your privacy policy, then skin a link to it wherever you need it to show.
That's not a bad idea, and certainly an easy fix, but it doesn't have a polished/professional look to it.

If you use the Help system, for example, you can link directly to a particular article, but it's going to end up with some large type at the top saying:

Help Topic: Privacy Policy

and a breadcrumb trail of:

Invision Power Services > Help Topics > Help Topic

I'd much rather have it duplicate the "Forum Rules" look with:

Privacy Policy

and a breadcrumb trail of:

Invision Power Services > Privacy Policy

[quote name='bfarber' date='16 September 2009 - 10:53 PM' timestamp='1253138028' post='1856631']
For what purpose? Couldn't you just put whatever it is you want your registered users to know in your board guidelines? It serves the same end purpose.

I could, but terms of use and board rules are two different things.

If you have CCS as you said, using that to make a Privacy policy sounds like the best idea to me.

1) You can control the page name
2) Breadcrumb trail will already be like you are talking about, with addition of "Pages" navigation entry

I don't think we're going to start adding in 10 different "custom page" options into IPB. That's all privacy policy, terms of service, etc. etc. are here. A blank page where you write the text. There are plenty of options already available I'd say.

[quote name='bfarber' date='17 September 2009 - 03:01 PM' timestamp='1253196112' post='1856811']
If you have CCS as you said, using that to make a Privacy policy sounds like the best idea to me.

1) You can control the page name
2) Breadcrumb trail will already be like you are talking about, with addition of "Pages" navigation entry

I don't think we're going to start adding in 10 different "custom page" options into IPB. That's all privacy policy, terms of service, etc. etc. are here. A blank page where you write the text. There are plenty of options already available I'd say.

Well I thought that terms of service should be included since this isn't something new. It's already included in the registration page, but can't be accessible outside of the registration form.

[quote name='bfarber' date='17 September 2009 - 10:01 AM' timestamp='1253196112' post='1856811']I don't think we're going to start adding in 10 different "custom page" options into IPB.
Who said anything about 10 different pages? We're talking about two pages — "Terms of Service" and "Privacy Policy" — two pages that should be standard on every website.

[quote name='bfarber' date='17 September 2009 - 10:01 AM' timestamp='1253196112' post='1856811']If you have CCS as you said, using that to make a Privacy policy sounds like the best idea to me.
I'm trying to find ways not to use CCS, though, since I'm not quite ready to move my forums out of the root (as discussed in my support ticket). And while I do have CCS, I don't think it would be fair to require others to purchase it just so that they can add a couple of pages that should already be included as standard.

[quote name='bfarber' date='17 September 2009 - 10:01 AM' timestamp='1253196112' post='1856811']2) Breadcrumb trail will already be like you are talking about, with addition of "Pages" navigation entry
I'm not crazy about having "> Pages >" as part of the breadcrumb trail.

I'm just going to add some more db entries to core_sys_conf_settings and replicate/edit boardrules.php so that I also have a terms.php and a privacy.php in /admin/applications/forums/modules_public/extras/.

• 5 months later...

[quote name='Tiki Tiki' date='17 September 2009 - 09:30 PM' timestamp='1253223054' post='1856944']
Who said anything about 10 different pages? We're talking about two pages — "Terms of Service" and "Privacy Policy" — two pages that should be standard on every website.

Would be nice if IPB included these by default

It's never really simple. While those may be common pages for you, what about "Contact Us" pages, or "About Us" pages, or any dozen other pages people might like to have. Again... this is where IP.Content comes into play. They can use it to easily create this, even fitting the look/feel of the board or just creating a simple static HTML page and creating a hyperlink to it.

I'd rather see IPS concentrate on areas that are harder for us as end users to create ourselves, using their expertise/skills to solve complex challenges and add new and innovative features rather than just spitting out something any of us can do with little/no work on our part.

Archived