Google Analytics integration?

FirestarZA

I'd love to see this feature so that I can literally only type in my Google Analytics code, and it will automatically integrated. I mean, this should be a VERY easy thing to add. Heck, even a place where I can enter in the whole set of code would be great.

I don't know if this is being discussed as a new feature or not, but I'd sure appreciate the system just handling any template modifications for me, in stead of me having to do them. :)

Thanks!

You're a legend! Thanks so much!

To be honest, I've always wondered why paid for forum applications don't offer this as a standard thing. I mean, who would ever buy something like IPB or VBulletin and NOT want to have some sort of stats tracking on it? There are phpbb and whatever else out there for the people who don't want to spend money on something like forum software.

Anyways, you should apply for a job with IPB. They need you!!! :D

Thanks again!

[quote name='Shogi' date='11 August 2009 - 04:12 PM' timestamp='1250007140' post='1841970']
Keep in mind that putting Google analytics is exactly like putting a spyware in your site.

Absolutely. We must be very careful. It's a dangerous world out there.:ph34r:

[quote name='FirestarZA' date='11 August 2009 - 11:46 AM' timestamp='1250005583' post='1841945']
You're a legend! Thanks so much!

To be honest, I've always wondered why paid for forum applications don't offer this as a standard thing. I mean, who would ever buy something like IPB or VBulletin and NOT want to have some sort of stats tracking on it? There are phpbb and whatever else out there for the people who don't want to spend money on something like forum software.

Anyways, you should apply for a job with IPB. They need you!!! :D

Thanks again!

Because Google Analytics license agreement does not allow it. They don't allow any other software to "generate" the analytics code from pieces of data (such as the id solely). Best we could do is give you a textarea to put in the entire JS they provide, but if we did that, why not just edit your skin?

Makes sense, I suppose. I just think that it's much easier putting some code that's given to you in a text area, than finding the place in the template to add it in. I know this isn't something big, and heck, I bet nobody out there would ever think about not buying IPB vs. some other software just because they offer this, but it's just something I've always missed, and thought was an oversight...

[quote name='bfarber' date='11 August 2009 - 07:58 PM' timestamp='1250017135' post='1842123']
Because Google Analytics license agreement does not allow it. They don't allow any other software to "generate" the analytics code from pieces of data (such as the id solely). Best we could do is give you a textarea to put in the entire JS they provide, but if we did that, why not just edit your skin?

I was not aware of that, Guess I should go remove that code out of one of my commercial web apps..

[quote name='bfarber' date='11 August 2009 - 07:58 PM' timestamp='1250017135' post='1842123']

Thanks Brandon, I did not know that was the case and I guess my hook is in violation of the license terms.

I think I will change it to use a textarea, as you indicate. It is easier to use a hook than edit the templates, especially if you have more than one skin.

That is my understanding of their TOS at least. If you are unsure, you can always contact them.

At the end of the day...it's doubtful Google is going to use all their vast resources to come after a modification author for a bulletin board software. If we provided the functionality out of the box, that chance would be higher, assuming my understanding of their terms of service is accurate.

[quote name='RobertMidd' date='11 August 2009 - 05:53 PM' timestamp='1250042020' post='1842351']
Thanks Brandon, I did not know that was the case and I guess my hook is in violation of the license terms.

I think I will change it to use a textarea, as you indicate. It is easier to use a hook than edit the templates, especially if you have more than one skin.

I think you are fine and this is just a case of everyone misunderstanding each other. Original poster was only asking for a field in the admin to enter the entire GA code snippet. Bfarber interpreted that as a request for a field to enter the GA account id and then IPB would generate the rest of the code - which is against the GA TOS and just not a good idea anyway. I'm guessing your hook is just a field where the entire GA code is entered which is fine.

I think it makes sense to have a field to include analytics code into the global template, but since it can be easily achieved in the templates my feelings about it are neutral.

[quote name='bfarber' date='12 August 2009 - 04:56 AM' timestamp='1250049395' post='1842410']
At the end of the day...it's doubtful Google is going to use all their vast resources to come after a modification author for a bulletin board software. If we provided the functionality out of the box, that chance would be higher, assuming my understanding of their terms of service is accurate.

although if they do, your fcuked :P.

RobertMidd, excellent idea. Thank you very much!

I have installed it and will check my analytics in a few days to see how it is going.

Out of curiosity where exactly does it show in the source? If I go to the index page and view "source" with my browser I don't see Google's tracking code anywhere?

Ted.

[quote name='Teddy Rogers' date='12 August 2009 - 11:10 AM' timestamp='1250071810' post='1842491']
RobertMidd, excellent idea. Thank you very much!

I have installed it and will check my analytics in a few days to see how it is going.

Out of curiosity where exactly does it show in the source? If I go to the index page and view "source" with my browser I don't see Google's tracking code anywhere?

Ted.

Have you edited the settings in the ACP which requires you to enter your google website id. If it is still at the default then it will not show in the source.

@FirestarZA
it uses ga.js

Not only is it against the Google TOS, but even if you were to generate the code automatically and just have the user put in the account id, that code could quickly become out of date.

You could just add the code in the wrapper of the skin, but wouldn't you have to do that for every skin? A hook could insert a "block of code" where it needs to be on every skin, regardless of it's edited or not.

A textarea hook is a good idea.

Sort of. Some of them require their code in weird places. For example, Google asks you to put their code in the page FOOTER, whereas I've never seen Hitslink code anywhere but the header, and Statcounter code outputs a button so you put it wherever you want the button to be. You can see how this could go badly.

[quote name='Mat (Fusion Digital)' date='13 August 2009 - 05:30 AM' timestamp='1250141451' post='1843018']
Sort of. Some of them require their code in weird places. For example, Google asks you to put their code in the page FOOTER, whereas I've never seen Hitslink code anywhere but the header, and Statcounter code outputs a button so you put it wherever you want the button to be. You can see how this could go badly.

Ok, thanks for explaining. You've got a point there. Although, if every developer were to not make an application/mod/hack due to a slippery slope, I think we won't have any developers :D

Oh, no one's saying don't make hooks, etc. Just saying that it's not something IPS could really add to the core product without it getting to the point where you install IPB and are faced with 39,742 settings in 242 categories. Hooks/mods are the right answer for making this kind of thing easier.

Archived