IPB 3.0 and iPhone

jclarke

[quote name='bfarber' date='15 June 2009 - 06:58 PM' timestamp='1245110285' post='1810477']
As a user, you can override the default mapped skin (the lofi version) at the bottom of the page fyi.

Thanks I just turned it off for all iphones. It just doesn't make sense to have that useless version for iphone.

[quote name='jclarke' date='16 June 2009 - 09:40 AM' timestamp='1245163255' post='1810681']
Thanks I just turned it off for all iphones. It just doesn't make sense to have that useless version for iphone.

Why wont they listen to this feedback. This has to be the general consensus.

I'm not sure why you would claim we're not listening to your feedback. :unsure: Surely you can see that all of the changes in IPB3 since we first unveiled it last year has been driven entirely by customer feedback.

We likely *will* expand on the lofi skin and enhance it further. However, we're at a stage where it's not feasible to do that for the very first initial release is all. That doesn't mean it won't happen. There's a ton of things we want to do (literally, thousands I'd say) and we just can't do them all at once.

The idea behind lo-fi is speed for mobile devices, not all phones have the speed and compatability which the iphone has. lo-fi will be changed as soon as the forums are sorted out, I think people want the computer browser sorting out before the mobile browser, imo I would rather be able to go to my forums and post, read etc before I start worrying about the mobile version, if you want to read new posts so badly subscribe to topics in which you can then read the replys via email.

[quote name='Lee Craven' date='17 June 2009 - 01:10 PM' timestamp='1245258605' post='1811053']
The idea behind lo-fi is speed for mobile devices, not all phones have the speed and compatability which the iphone has.

I disagree. Navigating and reading content in the lofi skin is annoying at best. They cut a lot of entire areas out and the ones they left in are severely crippled. The lofi skin they originally had for 3.0 was infinitely better even in it's incomplete & buggy state. I would have gladly used that skin, now I must use the full skin because the current skin is pretty much useless.

As someone who browses these forums on my iPhone often, I much prefer using the Lo-Fi interface.

"Power" isn't the only thing to think about when browsing on a mobile device, connection speed is also, so it makes sense to serve a Lo-Fi version to mobile users by default, if someone has the power and speed for a full view they can then switch it, but if they don't have the power/speed for that showing it by default isn't very helpful as it will take a long time to load/render before they can switch.

[quote name='Stephen' date='17 June 2009 - 11:38 AM' timestamp='1245263929' post='1811092']
As someone who browses these forums on my iPhone often, I much prefer using the Lo-Fi interface.

"Power" isn't the only thing to think about when browsing on a mobile device, connection speed is also, so it makes sense to serve a Lo-Fi version to mobile users by default, if someone has the power and speed for a full view they can then switch it, but if they don't have the power/speed for that showing it by default isn't very helpful as it will take a long time to load/render before they can switch.

I have to agree completely with this.

Even on my iPhone, whether it be 3G or Wifi speed, the default 3.0 skin takes too long to load, and MobileSafari is incapable of rendering everything properly with complete functionality. I'd be really disappointed if I couldn't use the lo-fi skin. I probably wouldn't even bother browsing the forums on my iPhone at that point.

[quote name='bfarber' date='17 June 2009 - 06:35 PM' timestamp='1245260147' post='1811074']
There's a lot of things we can do with the lofi skin, which of course we will be exploring in more detail. We just need to get everything else rock solid first. Priorities. :)

Do you know when or if the fix of stopping the main forum skin crashing mobile browsers after a few page loads.

Think Matt said he was having a look...

[quote name='Matt' date='01 June 2009 - 07:33 AM' timestamp='1243837992' post='1806666']
Ah yes. I still need to fix that Brandon. Regarding topic markers... hmm.

[quote name='Swiftie' date='18 June 2009 - 01:53 AM' timestamp='1245304427' post='1811218']
Do you know when or if the fix of stopping the main forum skin crashing mobile browsers after a few page loads.

Think Matt said he was having a look...

Can you point me to where Matt made that specific quote? I don't know of any instances where the main forum skin crashes mobile browsers...

[quote name='bfarber' date='18 June 2009 - 09:33 AM' timestamp='1245332016' post='1811290']
Can you point me to where Matt made that specific quote? I don't know of any instances where the main forum skin crashes mobile browsers...

That's why there's a little arrow on the quotes, so you can click on them and go back to where they were originally written. :P

These people that don't know IPB... I'm telling you... :P :D

[quote name='bfarber' date='18 June 2009 - 02:26 PM' timestamp='1245349581' post='1811386']
Normally when I quote I just type out the tags, so I don't pay much attention to that header info.
Hehehe, I just couldn't resist making that joke at your expense since there are probably very few people in the world that know IPB better than you do. :)

[quote name='bfarber' date='18 June 2009 - 02:33 PM' timestamp='1245332016' post='1811290']

http://forums.invisionpower.com/topic/284844-please-bring-back-topic-markers-in-the-lofi/page__view__findpost__p__1806666

Archived