View New Content

jebulgo

Hi

Wondering if having the link to latest reply to a topic could be included in the View New Content results?

Also is there a new posts since last visit facility as View New Content shows everything and Todays Active shows results already seen earlier?

Thanks

Jay

[quote name='jebulgo' date='18 May 2009 - 06:24 PM' timestamp='1242667475' post='1803141']
Hi

Wondering if having the link to latest reply to a topic could be included in the View New Content results?

Also is there a new posts since last visit facility as View New Content shows everything and Todays Active shows results already seen earlier?

Thanks

Jay

We definitely need this. I have installed the RC on my live board, and thats about the only complaint I am getting. Everyone liked the way the old "view new posts" page worked

1) The link itself points to the "get first post" action (get first unread post) so there's no need for a secondary link for this

2) View new posts shows all unread posts (instead of posts since last visit). We're considering an option to change this in a future version but it's not a bug exactly (it's intended for 3.0).

[quote name='bfarber' date='18 May 2009 - 06:32 PM' timestamp='1242667945' post='1803147']
1) The link itself points to the "get first post" action (get first unread post) so there's no need for a secondary link for this

2) View new posts shows all unread posts (instead of posts since last visit). We're considering an option to change this in a future version but it's not a bug exactly (it's intended for 3.0).

Cheers for that Brandon,

I think for a lot of forums the post since last visit would be important and it really needs to be part of a later release.

My lot are already moaning that its not there! :(

[quote name='jebulgo' date='18 May 2009 - 06:41 PM' timestamp='1242668460' post='1803150']
Cheers for that Brandon,

I think for a lot of forums the post since last visit would be important and it really needs to be part of a later release.

My lot are already moaning that its not there! :(

I think there are a lot of people that would really appreciate that as well. It has become a very common issue with the new software on my forum. Maybe just an option in the cpanel that would allow us to choose which we want it to do. Either way, it should certainly be an option.

I've already posted somewhere the modifications you'd need to make to do this. Heck, I'll post it on the resource site right now...

And done

http://resources.invisionpower.com/index.php?appcomponent=cms&module=articles&component=articles&article=7666

[quote name='bfarber' date='18 May 2009 - 03:26 PM' timestamp='1242674774' post='1803208']I've already posted somewhere the modifications you'd need to make to do this. Heck, I'll post it on the resource site right now...

And done

http://resources.inv...es&article=7666
Thanks for this, Brandon.

Wow. If it's as easy as the one line change in your article, I see no reason why this isn't built into 3.0 as an option.

It would require more coding, I'm sure, but rather than just put this in as a switch in the ACP, I'd find a way to add it to the UCP. If each forum member is allowed to make his/her own choice, they sure can't complain about how it works.

I too require the "last read" link, ideally, with the page numbering that the previous versions had - i.e. click the forum title for the first post, click the last read link to jump to last read, and of course, the last 3 page numbers or so, so you can jump back easily...

Also noted that the topic description field no longer shows... What happened to this?

Right now, if I want to compile my weekly email of the week's active topics, I'm having to create a new member so I can log in a see all the unread posts for that fake member... hardly an ideal way to search for the weeks posts when I'm the admin.

A simple yes or no answer would suffice... is it now no longer possible to search for the last week's topics? I don't mind being told I'm an idiot if I've missed the button. None of my members can see it and they're complaining bitterly that the function has gone.

It would require some modifications, unfortunately. I don't see any way to retrieve a list of topics created over a set time frame without performing an actual search (member or keywords).

Could either modify the active search function, as it presently has one day hard coded into it (e.g. make it accept an input parameter to determine time frame) or could modify the search routine itself to run without keywords, if there are dates supplied (best solution, but may not be nice for big boards).

Archived