Auto create auto tags

Cool Surfer

I'm not sure that auto tagging is a very good at accomplishing the goals of tagging. By tagging a post with every word that is not a 'stop word' you've only created a second search index. There would be no advantage in clicking a a tag to see related posts over going to the search engine and searching for that word. There are certainly steps that can be taken to make tagging easier to the end user, I just don't think that auto tagging is the answer.

In my opinion, tagging only works when you have users adding tags to content that really describe that content and make it easier to find. We've discussed a lot of ideas on this front, unfortunately the first release of IPB 3 will not have a tagging system, but we hope to add it in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Josh' post='1758605' date='Sep 29 2008, 08:35 AM']We've discussed a lot of ideas on this front, unfortunately the first release of IPB 3 will not have a tagging system, but we hope to add it in the future.

That is a slight disappointment from my perspective. I was hoping that IP.Board 3.0 would include a tagging system. vBulletin included it in vBulletin 3.7 & I highly expected it to be included with IPB 3. What is causing the delay in implementing this useful (and needed) feature? I hope that when it does get implemented (IPB 3.1?) that it will include the option of pinging blog engines to make them aware of the tag and the new thread. I've found this has helped me a lot while using a vBulletin thread tagging system modification from zoints, before vBulletin officially included this feature.

I ask that you seriously consider adding this feature at your earliest convinence after IPB 3.0 has been released and when an update is required. As a customer, I was looking forward to IPB having this option.

Here's an idea for when tags do become a part (if not first by mod), ability to search tags by forum -- example: The Community General Chat (here), if I ONLY wanted to see the topics that are political, or about video games, or whatever, i'd want, I think that would be nice. . . . .

[quote name='Comtech' post='1762903' date='Oct 10 2008, 02:52 AM']That is a slight disappointment from my perspective. I was hoping that IP.Board 3.0 would include a tagging system. vBulletin included it in vBulletin 3.7 & I highly expected it to be included with IPB 3. What is causing the delay in implementing this useful (and needed) feature? I hope that when it does get implemented (IPB 3.1?) that it will include the option of pinging blog engines to make them aware of the tag and the new thread. I've found this has helped me a lot while using a vBulletin thread tagging system modification from zoints, before vBulletin officially included this feature.

I ask that you seriously consider adding this feature at your earliest convinence after IPB 3.0 has been released and when an update is required. As a customer, I was looking forward to IPB having this option.
I totally agree with you.

As you can just from the replies here, which don't even encompass all of the functionality necessary and desired for tagging, it's not as simple as whipping up a tagging system and throwing it on top of the forum engine. ;) Serious thought needs to be put into how this would work for the most people. Some people only want certain members to be able to use tags. Do view and submit permissions need to be split in that case, or should everyone be able to view? Of course you need a tag cloud as well, but it should be able to support multiple products to be efficient. There's just a ton of things that goes into this, we didn't want to rush a half-baked version for 3.0 just to "get it out there".

[quote name='Comtech' post='1762903' date='Oct 9 2008, 10:52 PM']What is causing the delay in implementing this useful (and needed) feature?

We simply didn't have the time to include it with this release. At some point we have to cut off adding features or we'll never release anything. We also don't want to just slap a tagging system on, we want to make sure that we do it right and that it really benefits the forum.

[quote name='Josh' post='1762999' date='Oct 10 2008, 08:37 AM']We simply didn't have the time to include it with this release. At some point we have to cut off adding features or we'll never release anything. We also don't want to just slap a tagging system on, we want to make sure that we do it right and that it really benefits the forum.

I can understand that. vBulletin decided to slap a tagging system on & it turned out that the majority of users really did not like it...when compared to the mod from the .org.

As far as who gets to create tags. This would be dealt with inside of the admin center.
Their system allows you to designate which groups are allowed to create tags (every group gets to see them). Then you also should have the ability to cut off tags by a certain number say a maximum of 20 tags per thread.

This system can and will be abused. I found that out first hand.
Thus, I would hope there is a robust spam system integrated into 3.0 which would not only search for email address, urls, but also keywords that may be designated by the administrator or used in conjunction with a 3rd party like what is used with wordpress. If not now then perhaps in a late build.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Comtech' post='1762903' date='Oct 10 2008, 03:52 AM']That is a slight disappointment from my perspective. I was hoping that IP.Board 3.0 would include a tagging system. vBulletin included it in vBulletin 3.7 & I highly expected it to be included with IPB 3. What is causing the delay in implementing this useful (and needed) feature? I hope that when it does get implemented (IPB 3.1?) that it will include the option of pinging blog engines to make them aware of the tag and the new thread. I've found this has helped me a lot while using a vBulletin thread tagging system modification from zoints, before vBulletin officially included this feature.

Absolutely right !

I found the 'Tagging' feature very very useful and expected IPB to have implemented in IPB 3.0 :(

• 2 years later...

There is an auto-tag plugin I use on my R3Owners.Net vbulletin site that automatically creates a few tags based on the forum topic (unless the user adds them manually).

The problem with riders (at least on my sites) is that they find tags useful and click on them, but they don't like taking the time to add them. It may not be the perfect tag cloud, but it's not bad for a set of info that has been auto-generated:

http://www.r3owners.net/tags/

Archived