AJAX powered quick-reply?

Dr. Awesome

[quote name='Flandre Scarlet' post='1745996' date='Aug 11 2008, 07:52 PM']AJAX quick reply vB has is crap, I'd rather have the current quick reply, in fact I would be pretty damn pissed if they added one like vB's... FYI, vB's is glitchy as hell, doesn't update postcounts, causes issues when trying to go back to the last page, etc.
I use 3.7.2 PL1 and it seems to work fine for me. Perhaps you were using an older version of vBulletin?

I wouldn't mind AJAX Fast Reply to be added to IPB 3, but make it an option that is not enabled by default.

[quote name='Quillz' post='1746224' date='Aug 13 2008, 03:18 AM']I use 3.7.2 PL1 and it seems to work fine for me. Perhaps you were using an older version of vBulletin?

I wouldn't mind AJAX Fast Reply to be added to IPB 3, but make it an option that is not enabled by default.

Try using the back button on your browser and looking at the postcount on your post after you make a quick reply.

And personally I don't want this even as an optional feature, if you want it get a mod that can do it, it's not as great a feature as people act like it is, just like bfarber pointed out... in fact it's a pretty glitchy and useless feature that just means more work put into IPB 3 for no real reason...

[quote name='goose4all_merged' post='1746470' date='Aug 14 2008, 08:36 AM']one huge benefit is SERVERLOAD

if you move over the load to the client, the server have some time to breath..

Someone will make a mod for it if the demand is good, I still don't think it should be default...

I don't think it will reduce serverload by any noticable factor. All you are really doing is loading half a page instead of an entire page when you do it via AJAX, but the main load-bearing processes (parsing the posts, for instance) still have to be done.

Further to that, if you did this via an AJAX request, not only do you have to run the pre_db_parse routines (parse before saving), you have to then select all new posts, and run pre_display_parse routines on them to send back via the AJAX (as opposed to running only pre_display_parse routines, not both).

Granted I don't think that would affect much, but at the end of the day you likely won't save any server resources with this feature whatsoever.

[quote name='killswitch911' post='1746677' date='Aug 15 2008, 05:11 AM']Well since the IPS staff have such dislike in the idea, my guess is its not in IPB3.

It is not currently in IP.Board 3 and likely will not be, though it's not impossible that could change between now and final.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Wondering Soul' post='1745945' date='Aug 11 2008, 10:50 PM']Yes I believe it has been suggested before. In fact, I think there is a modification for it somewhere!
Yes, there is such a mod!
[PZ23] Ajax Quickreply v1.0 free to Premium Members ( $5 donation for access to all premium mods ) and integrates Scriptaculous effects into the Ajax, test it here.

[quote name='bfarber' post='1746098' date='Aug 12 2008, 09:44 AM']Submitting a form to add new content should *generally* reload the page. Too much ajax breaks normal browser back/forward functionality.
I might have an idea for a fix on that. On facebook, when viewing a photo album, you can use the arrow keys to go left and right in the stack. I didn't think it did but I was proved wrong recently... the photo is the only thing that loads on the page, but the window's URL also changes, therefore keeping forward/back support without a entire page refresh. How is that done? Javascript I guess? And would that be acceptable if you could make it work?

Though my 2c, I'd rather have non ajax.

[quote name='bfarber' post='1746098' date='Aug 12 2008, 01:44 PM']I've never seen any real benefit to an AJAX quick reply other than to sit and say "ohhh, look it has ajax".

Submitting a form to add new content should *generally* reload the page. Too much ajax breaks normal browser back/forward functionality.

Don’t see the benefit?
Many people like me, have a video topics. When a member is watching something online and he wants to post a message, he can’t! because the connection with the video will be lost after the refresh. Why did you think youtube added ajex?!
Please add this future as a built-in option with an option to turn this off/on via acp.

See, there are times when AJAX can be very useful. It's an interesting, and often useful technology. But as with any technology, a lot of people go overboard and want this feature and that feature to use AJAX, just because it's "cool".

Submitting a form, in general, does not normally require AJAX. There are cases where it is useful and can be done, but replying to a topic, in my mind, is simply not one of them.

I'm sure there were will be addons for this, due to the demand/requests for such a feature. But at this time it is not a 3.0 feature.

[quote name='bfarber' post='1768147' date='Oct 29 2008, 02:44 PM']See, there are times when AJAX can be very useful. It's an interesting, and often useful technology. But as with any technology, a lot of people go overboard and want this feature and that feature to use AJAX, just because it's "cool".
Well… I guess no matter what and how many people want it, you won’t do it.
For me personally, it’s a very useful future. Also I don’t believe it’s sO hard to do it… no body ask for “special effects”

And editing the post is 'one of them'? You can also edit the post without “ajex”!
I hope you will understand the benefit of this future…

Time will come and you will include it anyway )

but replying to a topic, in my mind, is simply not one of them.

Archived