Areas For Modders

Guest TestingSomething

I really think IPS should consider making changes related to areas for programmers.

As itr is, I have to have a license for a product to even post in the modification sectiopn of that product. So i can't even post a topic about my own modifications I submit. lol I'm not paying licensing fees to be allowed to give others support here or to be able to post topics about modifications in production.

I don't know what the solution is exactly, but I do know that on IPS Beyond there was a modifications in production forum area. there should at LEAST be one of those here where I can try to judge the demand for various things and also people would have an idea on what people are working on.

I understand that if someone does not have a license, the staff does not want them being able to read other topics where support is given, but:
1. That is a disadvantage to programmers who don't have licenses and aren't even wanting access for themselves.
2. Why are modifications covered under IPS licenses anyway? Paying Invision has nothing to do with third party modifications in my opinion. If you're not the ones making those programs or supporting them why must we pay licensing to access other people's work?

I think part of that is in a way it supports nulled/pirated boards. Perhaps there should be a perpetual user group that you are moved into when your license expires until you renew so you can still get product modification help but I think there are other reasons why they don't do it but I'm not sure. It seems somewhat sensible.

It becomes excessively difficult to manage something like that on a case-by-case basis. i.e. you must have a license to access IPB areas (including IPB downloads on the resources site) so what good would it do you if you could access mod areas here to make mods and then not be able to submit them? To give just modders the ability to access the mod areas even with an expired license would then open up the site to "i submitted a mod that had you change line x to "abc" so I should have access - at what point do you determine something is a real "mod" and/or that an exception should be made?

It's just a lot more difficult to manage something like this from an administrative perspective.

Well here's a note to people about the products in production section.

I can not access the board modfications section YET can access the in productions ection.

Long story short, there is no link to it. Subforums aren't even shown so there is no link whatsoever going to that in production area. not only can modders without licenses ever see it exists (unless it may be in the dropdown which they wouldn't even check), but it also means that users without licenses can't see thats ection either, the non-programmers.

So I suggest they allow everyone to view the actual forum. In some other areas you can see topics but not post in them or read them. Meanwhile in this case a broken link is created by not allowing even to view that forum.

Wow. I knew I couldn't download files on the resource site, but I am supposed to pay to be allowed to submit mods too. lol That's pretty ridiculous. So if I want to submit my mods for gallery and board that means I have to pay $50 for the privlege of giving them to people. lol

In my case most of what I ahve left I am selling, so that's the only reason there is any reason at all for me to consider renewing licenses. But you're all just pushing out a lot of free modifications because I know any other programmer who is going to offer mods and not charge for them would never renew a license to give someone something free!

And even when charging for mods, nobody knows how many they will sell so someone is going to get sucked into renewing only as advertisement for their mods and then not even get back what they paid in licensing fees!

Bottoom line is this is not a good decision, in my personal opinion.

Also the reason I want the mods in production area obvious is to be fair about all of this.
1. There is no reason not to have it an obvious link rather than a hidden one where you have to know the url to even get to it.
2. I want to judge interest level in what i have tos ell because I would rather them be only used by me if they aren't going to sell to more than a few people, as I amde them for myself originally, not for selling.
3. It's a way to get suggestions from people.
4. Modders should be able to ADD files on the resource site. Think about it, what sense does it make that someone should pay to submit something! You can say the support topic should not be here because they can access others' support topics, but not even be able to submit the file???

If IPB had more per forum settings it would be easy to have it straight.

Looks to me like it's more a "give us money and you can share things unsupported by us" policy.

Like I said, why pay money to be "alklowed" to give people something? I really think they're limiting so much of what's going to be added there that it's really just doing a disservice to the customers anyway.

I mean if I have to pay $50 to submir mods then it definitely makes me second guess whether I should even distribute them since yexs I know I would make profit out of the matter, but you never can be "sure" how much.

I almost think it would be better for me to advertise with another site. The whole "for customers by customers" thing is a convenient way to justify having more people need to pay money. :)

I don't think that IPS is expecting modders to pay renewal for the sake of accessing the forums (although, on a side note, I do, simply because having my single paid mod listed in IPS Resources beings in more income than the cost of renewal), it's more of the IPS Resources site is for current customers only. You don't need to be a current license owner to mod IPB, nobody is suggesting that, however, you have to pay for access to IPS Resources like everyone else has to.

Ultimately running IPS Resources costs money - hosting your mods costs money - other sites such as Invisionize are supported by ads, IPS Resources is not: it is supported by your license fee. So no, you can't have access if you don't pay that.
Nothing in life is free. Get used to it.

Eh, but hosting mods is supposed to be a benefit to people using them, not to oens submitting them. Until recently they did not even allow paid moficiation listings. So how was "that" benefiting the author instead of the users?

And in fact they don't host the mod. They said theyd elete the file for paid mods so thus they are hosting nothing other than an ad.

Wanting to download mods and wanting to submit them are entirely diferent things. Yes selling even one of my components would give me back more than I pay for support, but still who knows how much profit I would get? To me a few dollars profit is not worth no longer being able to consider the component an exclusive one.

{snip}

Yes selling even one of my components would give me back more than I pay for support, but still who knows how much profit I would get? To me a few dollars profit is not worth no longer being able to consider the component an exclusive one.

Consider it paying to advertise then. When you advertise, you never know how much profit the advertisement will bring. You advertise for exposure of your product and/or services.

This discussion has been brought up a thousand or more times already. I'm afraid I don't believe the decision is likely to change. Ultimately, access to the site, whether you are contributing, or benefiting from the contributions, all revolves around a current support contract. No body will force you to renew of course, that's entirely up to you. :) But the additional resources are indeed tied to an active contract, and have been ever since ipsbeyond was started (it was the same way then).

Well either way it makes no sense [b]to me[/b] for the in production area to be hidden.

Fixed :)

Why would it be OK to leave this one forum available to all, including people who never have legitimately used IPB, but hide everything else? You either have access to the IP.Board resources, or you don't, it's that simple.

I know that, but they don't base it off of customers group alone. I am allowed only in blog modding areas and am not allowed in the parent forum of that one I just posted the topic in.

So in other words, I am allowed in a subforum of a forum I am not allowed in. This just needs to be an example of not to look down on another for their post when you don't know the details for a fact and could end up being the one to look bad in the scenario. His post is telling me I expect preferential treatment and want something stupid to be done. Well masybe if he knew the facts that I am allowed in a subofrum but not its parent it wouldn't look like I am being "stupid" for thinking that makes no sense.

I know that, but they don't base it off of customers group alone. I am allowed only in blog modding areas and am not allowed in the parent forum of that one I just posted the topic in.

So in other words, I am allowed in a subforum of a forum I am not allowed in. This just needs to be an example of not to look down on another for their post when you don't know the details for a fact and could end up being the one to look bad in the scenario. His post is telling me I expect preferential treatment and want something stupid to be done. Well masybe if he knew the facts that I am allowed in a subofrum but not its parent it wouldn't look like I am being "stupid" for thinking that makes no sense.

That would be a website/permission mask misconfiguration. Not a IPS is "hiding stuff" from you problem.

Well that is a pretty strange scenario - so (a) it's probably a mistake that you're allowed in that subforum, not a mistake you're not allowed in the parent forum (b) how the hell was Michael supposed to know?

I think it's quite unfair for you to be continuously moaning about well... nothing, really and then attack people who make assumptions on the information you give them because they don't know everything about your situation.

Maybe if you tried talking TO everyone and not AT everyone, you would get the same treatment back. Do you ever wonder why everyone is so blunt and condescending in their replies to you? Chill out a bit.

That would be a website/permission mask misconfiguration. Not a IPS is "hiding stuff" from you problem.

I didn't say they were "hiding it". i said it was "hidden". And it is. It is hidden from public view. Whether it's a permissions mishap or them overlooking that subforums are not listed and that thus nobody would find it, or any other reason for it... it doesn't matter. Someone told me there is already a mods in production area and I simply pointed out yeah it's there, but it's hidden from public view. i didn't say "intentionally" hidden from public view.

Anyway whatever. i made my suggestion. They can do waht theyw ant with it. I'm not getting into some argument and getting banned over it, but Michael's post really came off as condescending big time and was uncalled for considering he misunderstood what I was even saying and then wrote a post pretty much saying my opinion was dumb when he didn't even understand my opinion. lol

So bottom line: I think it would be useful to have a mods in production area which is in plain site to anyone of any group as a way for modders to judge whether certain mods they are working on would be wanted by many. I personally don't see a reason to try to force someone to have a license (and I DO have a license anyway, it's a perpetual! so it's not even that you have to have a license, you have to pay for support) just to be able to ask hey should I continue to work on projects A, B, and C.

If they don't agree, then fine. But I know one thing... there is much less posting here now about mods or support than there used to be. So these decisions effectively killed some parts of the site.

Well that is a pretty strange scenario - so (a) it's probably a mistake that you're allowed in that subforum, not a mistake you're not allowed in the parent forum (b) how the hell was Michael supposed to know?

Whether he knew or not is irrelevant, his post was rude. Also I already mentioned it. Also as far as me complaining, I am not complaining. I am suggesting (this is the feedback area) and I don;'t think condescending posts with smileys about my opinions are helping anything. Agree or disagree, but like I said that is why there is never a reason to be rude and if someone is going to be they need to be 100% sure they understand what is going on and obviously he misunderstood what i was saying.

Anyway I have already said my opinion and there is no reason to keep saying it or argue or anything. This is where I usually just argue and get banned so I am not doing that again. lol

So everything can be summed up as: I personally don't think it's set up the best way evenh for the paying customers. They are getting less modifications. Also I think it would be very useful if there was a mods in production area available to anyone as long as it's not advertising where to get it or anything like that.

Thanks

I merely corrected your statement to show that it was your opinion that it doesn't make sense, not that it doesn't make sense period. Because to me, it does make sense for the reasons I stated.

So they're not hiding it, but it is hidden. Oh, it all makes sense now, I'm sorry for twisting your words around.

I'm sorry if you find my comments rude, if you don't want to see what I have to say, might I suggest you put me in your Ignore list?

Archived