Areas For Modders

Guest TestingSomething

I assume all this achieved is that they will say it was a mistake that I could post there and they won't make it easier to get to it, but make it where posting can't be made there. lol

Anyway well I gave my suggestion. I just don't see how somone posting about a program being in production is the same. If others think it's the same, fine that's their opinion. but to me it's not the same as someone downloading mods. Eh. :alien:

(lol I was going to use another smiley and noticed that one and never see it used so hey figured I would toss it in)

OK i do think ips does need to maybe look into this and come up with a solution. I would say at the very least allow modders to view their own mods in the ip.downloads. I'm not 100% on forum permissions but allow everyone in the mod support/mods in devel sections seeing as no code or attachments are in there and since the modders ( not ips ) provide the support then ips shouldn't complain.

I see you point at where to draw the line on what is a mod, so maybe limit to some of the big sections at first ( skins, components, modules, api's ). Small one line edits tend to be put in the articles system now ( working nicely btw). Let me give you an example, i think my licence expired a day or two ago ( yea i know i need to get round to renewing it ). Don't know if my permissions have been downgraded yet but all i tend to do on this forum ( aside from rant every now and then ) is provide support and not to mention working on the community project (ip.tracker) which in theory even though i'm still actively working on i won't be able to access (from resources anyway)... lol. You can alienate good people like this so either think of a rewards scheme for good modder/forum posters or maybe risk losing good coders (worse case scenario but i was crap when i started out on these forums 5yrs ago and if you look at some of the first posts of the big modders its a good giggle, don't look at mine though :P).

Well apparently they aren't considering it at all even though Brandon said himself this has been brought up many times (thus it is obviously a concern to customers).

As far as seeing your own mod though, they won't even let you add a mod if you don't have a license in that category, so there would be no mod to look at as long as they keep that policy (unless you submit one when you have a license then you lose it later).

I also think this is going to come down on the customer by more mods being paid than free ones at some point. Because I know me personally if I am paying for a license SOLELY to offer mods, then I am not giving them free because why would I pay to give something free as if it was a privlige to me to give it free?

Anyway in my case I have a couple components and a gallery mod which I am probably going to sell. But I would still give some mods free most likely. But I'm just saying a randon person making only small mods would normally give them free and then would likely change their mind and charge based on this setup.

I understand reasoning for it, but I personally don't think it's the best way to have it honestly.

I don't think ones with support contracts will continue to feel that way when they realize they are then having to pay for mods that would have been free if the mod authors didn't have overhead also though.

Also I just think it's incredibly different when someone has a perpetual and no support license and someone has a lesser license type and no support contract. I don't think many who own perpetuals think they should have to pay for all the things that come along with support. Support.... yes that should cost. But resources should not. If a perpetual license owner gets unlimited downloads of the forum softyware, there is nor eason that magically should not apply to modifications for it which are offered through the company.

If you used:

if( 'support' == 'downloads' ){

it would come up false. So why then are they treated as if it came up true? :P

Archived