Fastest FTP Transfer Software

Guest Solomon

SmartFTP does have those nice tutorials too....

:unsure: there are occassions when I cheat

FTP is always some what of a risk and I prefer to avoid it although if you are on a dedicated you can improve things and only enable ftp to your ip and to your home directory and not your webspace ....however back to cheating :whistle: if say you were talking about an install use PeaZip to make a handy tarball of the upload and use the file manager for you server to upload it to some where suitable and extract it. The method will vary depending on if you have hosting / dedicated and if you have shell access or not basically you may find a single upload goes faster than an FTP client processing all the files. Just a thought you might want to try :)

I also tried the FTP by Ipswitch which boasts of a super fast transfer tool. It has a nice a user friendly interface, but I found it about as fast (or may be a tick faster) as the SmartFTP. I agree with bfarber that the speed is directly proportional to your connection.

Now, this is a real let down for me. I have officially a 16 Mbit connection, but the local DSL (the main line) is capable of transferring only a measly 3550 kb/s and am far from the transmission node (the further you go, the worser it gets). As a result I get only around 2900 kb/s (download) and 310 kb/s (upload). As of late our cable has also geared up and capable of giving 25 Mbit and upwards, but am stuck for 2 years with the snails, as I just signed up last August. I'll definitely give the FileZilla a shot.

It would have been nice and convenient with a fast transfer tool to save your complete system and server backups on the server itself as I have 1 Terrabyte of disc space at my disposal. I save my system and server backups to an external drive at the moment.

Personally I've used SmartFTP, FileZilla, and ashamedly, Windows Explorer. :D

SFTP does seem to give me faster downstream speeds than the others, but FZ gives me faster upstream. Because of me and my backup making I mostly use SFTP, but FZ definitely does the job to.

Archived