Disapointed in new License Structure

Guest Andrax

When did the license options change again? I actually need to purchase a 5th forum license and am sad to see that the license options have changed for the worse (in my opinion). I've got 2 lifetime licenses and 2 perpetual licenses, neither of these new license options suit my needs as a user at all.

I understand completely that as a company you need revenue and that selling lifetime support/updates for a flat fee isn't going to result in as much cash flow as charging for support after the first year. Thats why I didn't have any issues with the move to perpetual licenses. Pay for the forum and it's updates up front and if you need support later, you re-up. But i think the new license options are fairly "user hostile" and do not appear to have any offerings for users who want the forum script and don't want/need support for it.

I've never seriously considered making a switch because I've always been quite happy with the performance and development of IPB, but at this rate, my next forum script will not apparently be IPB. :(

When did the license options change again? I actually need to purchase a 5th forum license and am sad to see that the license options have changed for the worse (in my opinion). I've got 2 lifetime licenses and 2 perpetual licenses, neither of these new license options suit my needs as a user at all.

I understand completely that as a company you need revenue and that selling lifetime support/updates for a flat fee isn't going to result in as much cash flow as charging for support after the first year. Thats why I didn't have any issues with the move to perpetual licenses. Pay for the forum and it's updates up front and if you need support later, you re-up. But i think the new license options are fairly "user hostile" and do not appear to have any offerings for users who want the forum script and don't want/need support for it.

I've never seriously considered making a switch because I've always been quite happy with the performance and development of IPB, but at this rate, my next forum script will not apparently be IPB. :(

They have made it public the changed was going to happen months before IPB 2.2.0 was released.

I am not sure why the change is a problem, you get almost exactly what you were getting with the perpetual, its just you have to pay for upgrades which is also the case if you purchase Vbulletin.

There is no paid software that gives you the access to upgrades and support for free, at least not any major forum that has been tested in shape professional fashion.

Notification on the forums here is only helpful if you're haunting the forums.

I would argue that your second point is completely invalid. How can you say paying for access to updated versions every 6 months is like having a license which doesn't require you to ever pay for access to updates? That doesn't sound too similar to me.

I would argue your third point by way of example, my two lifetime licenses appear to indeed offer what you say is not possible. I would say that offering such a license is a detriment to the script authors bottom line however. As such, this was actually identified in my initial post as a valid reason to discontinue the former lifetime license offering and move to the perpetual license. I think that the abandonment of the perpetual license entirely is a bad move from a customer standpoint.

Those that bought a perpetual license (whom were on a yearly setup before the new license went into agreement) still get free upgrades I beleave. it may be dis continued but those that still hold the license title still get the free upgrads.. Plus you should of know about this if you still use the Email address you registed your IPB with becaue EVERYONE got an email about the license change. I don't know why people get so bent out of shape over a small issue if 25 bucks amonth. cheaper then the 35 something you have to pay vB for upgrades and support

if you don't like how IPB has done this you can always send an email to the billing department

• Management

We did send out notifications (to ALL customers) well in advance, providing a last-chance opportunity to get additional licenses.

It's certainly understandable that you would feel the way you do, especially since you were able to get in on the previously offered lifetime and perpetual licenses. Unfortunately, as you pointed out, those were/are not ideal licensing options from a long-term business standpoint.

Our current license structure is not at all uncommon and our previous offering by way of perpetual and lifetime licenses was actually the exception, not the norm. Unfortunately, things change in business as it grows and expands. This is simply one of those things.

It never hurts to vent and express your concerns though... thanks for doing so and we're sorry you're not happy with the changes. Again, as you're used to the lifetime license model, I wouldn't expect that you would be particularly pleased, but I gather from your post that you do understand our position. :)

Apparently I'm not being clear. I'm not concerned about the 4 licenses I already have. I realize that those terms have not changed. However, I now need to purchase ADDITIONAL licenses.

Also, renewing your access to support and upgrades every 6 months for IPB at $25 = $50 per year (12 months in a year, 2 payments of $25) vs vB's $30 for the same. Almost twice the price.

And no, I have not changed my email address/account. Still working great, but thanks for playing.

Bah, Lindy sneaking posts in while I'm typing :P

While I do understand the reason behind it I would offer this. For customers or potential customers who are not interested in a support option but would like to use the script, is it better to collect their money up front and provide a license that offers them their updates but limited or no support or to not capture that income at all. That's the point I'm trying to make (badly apparently).

Even if the newly revised licenses were for 12 months (at $150). I'm a huge IPB fan, I would have to be, i've got enough licenses to kill a horse. But a 6 month update cycle seems like a slap to me.

*side note*

Not that this changes anything, but the last update/notification that I got from IPS was on April 30, 2006.

Invision Power Services Update

Greetings!

Invision Power Board 2.x.x Security Update

It has come to our attention that Invision Power Board 2.0.x and Invision Power Board 2.1.x contains potential vulnerabilities:

A bug in Internet Explorer 5.0+ which allows a JPEG image to be uploaded with a GIF header containing malicious HTML / javascript code. (IPB 2.1.x only)

Potential SQL injection (limited to 32 characters)

Potential arbitrary PHP code execution

The zip files attached to our announcement contain the required files to update your installation to protect against these vulnerabilities.

Complete Announcement

There are 3 ways to get notifications of IPS Updates and I use all 3 :)

Subscribe to the IPS Company News & Updates Forum with imedaite e-mail notification by e-mail (Best Way)

Add a RSS Feed to IPS Company News & Updates Forum using the RSS Icon in the bottom left corner of the forum. (IF you using Thunderbird for this it might not always worked as I have learned but still a great option.)

Last One go to invisionpower.com and put your e-mail in the Get Updates box on there website. This is the worst one in my option because it rarely gets used and last time it was used was for the release of IPB 2.2.0

There are 3 ways to get notifications of IPS Updates and I use all 3 :)

Last One go to invisionpower.com and put your e-mail in the Get Updates box on there website. This is the worst one in my option because it rarely gets used and last time it was used was for the release of IPB 2.2.0

I use all three of them too :P

I do not recall getting a notification like this the way I heard about was reading the IPS News Topic.

I have two licenses purchased several months apart and got two emails, my friend who also has two licenses got two emails too. Maybe you misplaced it.

I use all three of them too :P

I have two licenses purchased several months apart and got two emails, my friend who also has two licenses got two emails too. Maybe you misplaced it.

I will look around but I don't recall getting any e-mail. Thank Your Google Search in E-mail 1500 Mail to go

Archived