Potential for confusion upon completed upgrade

Guest Stuart Elliott

I've just finished updating my test forum to 2.2.1, and found the last screen to have potential to confuse people.

misleading_end_to_upgrade.jpg

As you can see, the only button available at completion of the upgrade process is "Cancel Upgrade", and whilst there is a recommendation that the user 'should now login to the admin control panel' there isn't a clear cut way of exiting the upgrader process, something that could easily be remedied with a final "Finish" button that does just that, or even back to the forums homepage.

Although I noticed the link to the board with no problem, I agree that it would be less confusing if there was a button at the bottom there to go to the forum. And for that matter, does it make any sense to show the Cancel Upgrade button at that point? Will it really undo the entire upgrade process that it just completed?

Yeah, clicking cancel upgrade seems to do just that - cancel. IIRC, it doesn't reverse anything and it causes confusion being there.
Also, I do agree with the OP, a 'Return to your forums' link (which I believe there was in the old upgrader) would be helpful.

Although I noticed the link to the board with no problem, I agree that it would be less confusing if there was a button at the bottom there to go to the forum. And for that matter, does it make any sense to show the Cancel Upgrade button at that point? Will it really undo the entire upgrade process that it just completed?

I agree. I did find the link with no problem, but other people may not. Therefore, I think that the "Cancel Upgrade" button should be eliminated, and a "Go to Forum" button should be added on the lower right hand portion of the screen on the final completion step of the installation.

Or click the link that says "Invision Power Board"...

Before hovering over the link, I actually though it was a link to www.invisionboard.com

What did bug me with the installer, was that when you had an error like no write permissions on certain files, there was no button to tell the installer to try again, this could cause confustion for some less technical users who wouldnt think to refresh the page.

Archived